"The Pyramids of Meroe, at Bajrawiya" Meroe by maykal
Meroe Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 167 photos
Sudan's number one tourist attraction lies just off the "Osama Highway" (so called because a certain Mr Bin Laden built it)between Khartoum and Atbara. A few miles out of Shendi heading north, look to your right and you can't fail to miss the famous pyramid tombs of an acient meroitic city.
Black stone pyramids amidst orange sand dunes and black volcanic outcrops is quite a stunning scene. You will most likely be the only tourist/person in sight, and it is amazing to walk around these ancient relics in total silence
- Pros:Stunning location, easy to reach, deserted, not a tourist or tout in sight
- Cons:No comparison to Pyramids of Giza....but who wants decorated camels anyway?
- In a nutshell:Sudan's major attraction, Meroe shouldn't be missed
Apparently you can camp out near the pyramids in the middle of the desert. I would imagine this is an amazing... more travel advice
From Khartoum, take a bus heading to Atbara, and ask to be let off at Bajrawiya or Al-Ahram. If they don't stop the bus,... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Meroe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kush Kingdom"
- "The pyramids"
- "The Pyramids of Meroe, at Bajrawiya"
- "Ancient Meroe"
- "Meroe Pyramids"
- "Merowe [not Meroe]"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meroe
- Hotels in Meroe
- Transportation in Meroe
- Restaurants in Meroe
- Shopping in Meroe
- Warnings and Dangers in Meroe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meroe
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Meroe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meroe
Photos in MeroeSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 35 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos