"Suakin" Suakin Island by maykal
Suakin Island Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 54 photos
Suakin is an easy day trip from Port Sudan, lying just over an hour to the south. The journey there and back is pretty dull, just desert, sea and a straight road, but Suakin is quite spectacular. Built on an island, the old centre used to be one of the most stunning towns on the African coast, but when the port was moved to a new location to the north, Suakin was abandoned and left to crumble.
Unfortunately, the place has seen an increase in visiting khawajas in recent years, and someone has though up a plan to drain the pockets of any future tourists...entrance to the palace ruins and the island itself was so extortionate that we could not enter and had to be content with the view from afar. Bring more money than you think you'll need!
- Pros:Beautiful setting
- Cons:Hot and humid, extortionate entrance fee
- In a nutshell:A place I'd love to return to, but I'll take more money next time!
Even though the coast is safe and more relaxed than many parts of Sudan, don't forget to bring all your travel documents... more travel advice
The obvious attraction is the island itself...palace ruins where once a king lived with his 360 wives, Kitchener's old... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Suakin Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suakin - old coral limestone buildings"
- "Suakin and the cats with gin"
- "Suakin...Sudan gate by the Red Sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suakin Island
- Transportation in Suakin Island
- Restaurants in Suakin Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Suakin Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suakin Island
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Suakin Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suakin Island
Photos in Suakin IslandSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 35 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos