"Amasra'ya hos geldiniz!" Amasra by maykal

Amasra Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 255 photos

Amasra in 2013 was quite a different experience. It was less about sunbathing and swimming, and more about catching up with friends and trying to stay warm! If Amasra is fairly quiet in summer, it is almost dead in winter...at least according to my friends who were longing to return to İstanbul, but coming from a small Scottish town where the cafes close at 6pm in summer and winter, it was still a novelty to find somewhere in Amasra serving tea at 1 in the morning. We did our fair share of exploring too, and with the focus away from the beach, I saw more of the actual town than I remember seeing in 2001. It is still as pretty as before, but a fair bit of development on the hillsides hints that Amasra was discovered some time ago...still it remains a small town place where everyone knows each other.

From 2001:

'Turkey is well-known for its beach resorts along the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts, but how many visitors to Turkey know that there is a third coast, almost undiscovered by tourists? Although I haven't been to every place on the Black Sea Coast, Amasra did seem to be the prettiest place...a small village or red-roofed houses on a rocky promontary, backed by green hills. In summer it is fairly busy, mostly with holidaying Turks, which I think helps Amasra keep its character...no English breakfasts or German hot-dog stands here! The town's beaches are OK...nothing spectacular, and the water is surprisingly chilly...but nearby are some great uncrowded beaches with waves and white sand. All in all, Amasra is a place I could easily spend a long time...'

More to come...

• Last visit to Amasra: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2013

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Amasra