"maykal's new Van Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Van by maykal
Van Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 377 photos
Visiting Lake Van was one of the highlights of my week long whistle-stop trip round South-Eastern Turkey. It was somewhere I had always been intrigued by, having seen some photos of it in a National Geographic magazine, and read about the "train-ferry" running between Tatvan and Van, a vital link in the Istanbul to Teheran railway, described in a book by Paul Theroux. Not to mention hearing about the Van cats, one eye green and the other blue. I will also include the city of Mardin on this page, as VT is yet to include a page for this city. It was supposed to be the last stop on our journey around the South-East before heading back to school and exams in Damascus, but because of the bloody-minded border guards, we were forced to spend an extra night in Nusaybin, a non-descript town opposite the Syrian town of Qamishle, another non-descript place.
For more about my travels in Turkey, click <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.133814/188/?s=Q">HERE!</a>
DON'T FORGET THE TRAVELOGUES (although only pictures so far!)
<img src="http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotempbig/global/stations/17275.gif" height=40 width=467></a><a href="http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/17205.html">
<img src="http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotempbig/global/stations/17205.gif" height=40 width=467></a>
Beneath Van Kalesi are the remains of old Van...a series of grass-covered rises and ditches with the odd restored... more travel advice
From Van, there are buses to Tatvan until 3pm, and from there, you can get to Diyarbakir, Batman, Bitlis etc... To get... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Van Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xerxes the Great called us!"
- "The surroundings of Van"
- "maykal's new Van Page"
- "Enchanting Van"
- "VAN... CAPITAL OF ANCIENT URARTU KINGDOM"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO SIR JEFF"
- "globetrott's new Van Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Van
- Hotels in Van
- Transportation in Van
- Nightlife in Van
- Restaurants in Van
- Shopping in Van
- Warnings and Dangers in Van
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Van
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Van?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Van
Photos in VanSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 33 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos