"Akhaltsikhe" Akhalts'ikhe by maykal
Akhalts'ikhe Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 45 photos
Deep in the south of Georgia, close to the border with turkey, lies the sleepy town of Akhaltsikhe. The name means Newcastle (akhal = new, tsikhe = castle), but it couldn't be more different from its counterpart in England.
Not much happens in Akhaltsikhe. Apparently it is supposed to be a "bustling metropolis" now that the border has opened, so I can only imagine what it could have been like before that happened! That said, Akhaltsikhe does have enough attractions to keep a visitor occupied for a day. I stayed for two...
For such a sleepy town, Akhaltsikhe does have an excellent museum, located in the remains of a castle on a hill overlooking the town. Aside from school groups, you are likely to be the only visitor, and will be treated to a fascinating guided tour in flawless English around the exhibits and the accompanying mosque and caravanserai. A visit to the museum will give you an idea of where else to visit in the region, and you soon realise that Akhaltsikhe makes a very good base for visiting remote places like Vardzia.
I might publish my diary entry for Akhaltsikhe in a travelogue...it expresses my feelings for the place (not always complimentary) far better than I can now...
- Pros:Excellent museum, laid-back town, mountain scenery nearby
- Cons:Not much to do, very few places to get food
- In a nutshell:A small Georgian town with a long history, a good base for a few days
Akhaltsikhe's bus station is about as lively as the town gets...there are usually at least three buses waiting there at... more travel advice
She also told me about the history of the museum. After independence, the government had other things to worry about... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Akhalts'ikhe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Akhalts'ikhe
- Hotels in Akhalts'ikhe
- Transportation in Akhalts'ikhe
- Restaurants in Akhalts'ikhe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akhalts'ikhe
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Akhalts'ikhe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akhalts'ikhe
Photos in Akhalts'ikheSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos