"Kazbegi 2001 & 2005" Top 5 Page for this destination Kazbegi by maykal

Kazbegi Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 290 photos

The highlight of my trip of 2001 was undoubtedly Kazbegi...a white-knuckle ride in a minibus whose driver had a penchant for overtaking at speed on blind corners, staying with a local family and enjoying the local "delicacy" of raw fish and cold spaghetti, climbing to the spectacularly located Tsminda Sameba church to discover a severed sheep's head at the gateway....

After failing to visit remote Khevsureti region due to snow on the mountain pass, and being warned off visiting Tusheti due to banditry, and not being able to stay with friends of friends in Racha because they had managed to electrocute themselves, I was quite happy to opt for a return trip up the Georgian Military Highway to Kazbegi in june.

Return trips are not always a good idea. I had a mental image of Kazbegi and was concerned I might discover that everything had changed beyond recognition. True, there was a brand new hotel in the main square, so no cold fish suppers or freezing showers this time...but little else seemed to have moved on since four years ago. The town was still overrun with pigs and cows, there was still nowhere to get food other than bread and cake, and the views of the mountains were still as spectacular as I remembered.

I will build a page here, but this new digital camera is still confusing me a little, so it may take some time :@P mapatio...

• Last visit to Kazbegi: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2005

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 7:06 AM

your photos are so, well, green! there's something about Georgia, isn't there?!? (I'm looking for another Georgia-esque place....somewhere....)

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 9:35 AM

I am sitting here laughing my off at your descriptions and i look forward to the absolute madness in 3 days týme, your tips are some of the funniest and best on VT cheers john z

• TempNomad's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 4:08 PM

Stunning photos...and wonderful commentary on those pages you've completed. Thanks!

• Sympathisant's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 11:23 AM

I am looking forward to the pics

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2005 at 12:04 AM

Gamar jobat! Your photos of Tsiminda Sameba are really beutiful and I hope to see more. I will visit Georgia again next year but will unfortunately not go to Kazbegi.

• halikowski's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 10:56 AM

Good pages, well-written, original and interesting. Bravo!

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Kazbegi

Have you been to Kazbegi?

Latest Activity in Kazbegi