"Kazbegi 2001 & 2005" Top 5 Page for this destination Kazbegi by maykal
Kazbegi Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 359 photos
The highlight of my trip of 2001 was undoubtedly Kazbegi...a white-knuckle ride in a minibus whose driver had a penchant for overtaking at speed on blind corners, staying with a local family and enjoying the local "delicacy" of raw fish and cold spaghetti, climbing to the spectacularly located Tsminda Sameba church to discover a severed sheep's head at the gateway....
After failing to visit remote Khevsureti region due to snow on the mountain pass, and being warned off visiting Tusheti due to banditry, and not being able to stay with friends of friends in Racha because they had managed to electrocute themselves, I was quite happy to opt for a return trip up the Georgian Military Highway to Kazbegi in june.
Return trips are not always a good idea. I had a mental image of Kazbegi and was concerned I might discover that everything had changed beyond recognition. True, there was a brand new hotel in the main square, so no cold fish suppers or freezing showers this time...but little else seemed to have moved on since four years ago. The town was still overrun with pigs and cows, there was still nowhere to get food other than bread and cake, and the views of the mountains were still as spectacular as I remembered.
I will build a page here, but this new digital camera is still confusing me a little, so it may take some time :@P mapatio...
The border between Georgia and Russia is most definitely open (look out for convoys of cars heading for sale in... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Kazbegi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greater Caucasus, home of Prometheus."
- "Kazbegi: great place to get away from it all :)"
- "Marvelous Kazbegi"
- "Kazbegi 2001 & 2005"
- "A Land of the Titans"
- "Kazbegi - Heaven on earth in the High Caucasus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kazbegi
- Hotels in Kazbegi
- Transportation in Kazbegi
- Nightlife in Kazbegi
- Restaurants in Kazbegi
- Shopping in Kazbegi
- Warnings and Dangers in Kazbegi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kazbegi
- 14 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Kazbegi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kazbegi
Photos in KazbegiSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 37 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Algiers Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos