"maykal's new Baku Page" Baku by maykal

Baku Travel Guide: 260 reviews and 595 photos

Baku was a pleasant surprise! Before my trip to the capital of <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.133814/194/?s=A">Azerbaijan</a>, I'd seen pictures of "nodding donkeys" in a polluted environment, and apartment blocks stretching for miles. Nobody had told me about the well-preserved old town, the tree-lined promenade alongside the Caspian Sea, or the streets of the oil-boom town filled with shops, cafes and "beautiful people"...
I'm not entirely happy with this page, but for now it will have to do...hopefully I will find time to improve it later...

PS What do people think about black and white photos on VT pages? The colour version of this photo is printed below...which should I keep? let me know please!:)

What's going on in Baku now?....<a href="http://www.bakusun.az:8101/">Baku Sun</a>

This is my view of Baku, which is not the official view of the city...for that, you'll have to visit <a href="http://5c.azeri.com/travel/">Azerbaijan Tourism</a>.

• Last visit to Baku: Sep 2001
  • Intro Written Sep 11, 2002

Travelogues (1)

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Your page has made me want to visit Baku even more than before!

• canuckmike's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2006 at 9:06 AM

Another fine page on the region.

• Minashka's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 9:00 AM

Awesome tips and pics :) That statue is of Yusif Mammadaliyev - the 1st president of the National Academy of Sciences of Az-n. He was also a very famous chemist and an academician. Baska sorularin varmi? ;-) Iyi gunler sana... Minai

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 10:26 AM

very interesting and enjoyable page - made my day far more interesting. N.

• Sumgaiti's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 1:34 AM

thanks for this pic maykal.I think it looks better from the sea.however,it is actually,the gornment building-some ministries have their offices in this building.Tks again!

• Jul 22, 2005 at 3:21 AM

Funicular is not disused, although it's running times are erratic and do not accord with those published.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2005 at 11:24 PM

Definitely black and white!More subtle.Interesting pages.Have learned a lot about this country-you've 'put it on the map' for me!

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2004 at 5:46 AM

i think i prefer the balck and white one, it can me u relate more for some reasons :)

• Eddie101's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 12:20 PM

The nearest i got was the airport transit lounge, (on route to India) and i must admit the view when coming into land did not impress at all, but thanks to you and your very informative tips and pics, i am duly enlightened. Thanks Maykal

• seratonin's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2002 at 5:43 AM

Very informative!

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Baku