"Punakha, Finally Somewhere "Tropical"" Punakha Dzongkhag by illa
Punakha Dzongkhag Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 15 photos
Punakha was the former capital of Bhutan. The Punakha Dzong lies between two rivers known as Phochu and Mochu which means “ Male river and Female river ”. It is one of the most important Dzongs in Bhutan and now houses the District Administration office of the Punakha district and the winter residence of the Monk Body and its Chief Abbot. It was built in 1637 A.D.
As a mountain country, Bhutan is pretty cold, especially at night. But things changed when we arrived in Punakha. Look at the cactus. Punakha is full of their flowers when we were there in May.
Punakha Dzong is the winter home of the largest group of monks in the country (some 500) and the Je Khempo (Buddhist religious leader).
- Pros:Beautiful architectures, land, views...
- Cons:Time there was too short
This former capital of Bhutan, now it lies between two rivers known as Phochu and Mochu which means “ Male river and... more travel advice
illa's Related Pages
Punakha Dzongkhag Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Punakha Dzongkhag
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Punakha Dzongkhag?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Punakha Dzongkhag
Photos in Punakha DzongkhagSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montana Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Inle Lake Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Paro Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trinidad Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bhaktapur Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thimphu Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Cuba Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues