"Into the Last Himalayan Buddhist Kingdom" Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan by illa
Bhutan Travel Guide: 233 reviews and 894 photos
A flying dragon is on the national flag of Bhutan, as shown in the picture.
This is a land of roses, beautiful mountains and clean air.
Bhutan is not an ordinary place. You don't know much of it because they don't care much of "international image" so they don't promote their nation as others do; However, that you don't know it doesn't mean the Bhutanese don't know the world. Internet is something common in Bhutan. Since this country is hardly known by the world, it's easy to assume that Bhutan is one of the poorest countries in the world. If that means money saved up in the bank, it might be true, as there had been no currency in Bhutan until 1960s. Before that time, Bhutanese lived a sort of Medieval life. However, in Bhutan I didn't see any beggar; everybody enjoys some pieces of land, free education and medical treatment. I would not call it poverty.
This is a country with one foot in the past and one in the future. The King is taking very cautious steps towards the "development". While travelling there, it's very easy to lose your heart in Bhutan.
You'd probably doubt where you are and when you are.
Isn't he like a man from an ancient dynasty?
This is one of most common views you see in Bhuan. The flags are full of lection that is read by wind, constantly, and sent to the heaven.
- Pros:Awesome scenery and architecture, charming people, undiluted culture
- Cons:It is quite expensive to go travelling in Bhutan, as the daily tariff is set by the government
- In a nutshell:Bhutan can change a lot of your pre-conception.
In Bhutan, you can shop for colorful masks, hand-woven bamboo items, wood carvings, stamps (great collections),... more travel advice
Although the whole country is an "off the beaten path", we did find some others that were not shown by tourist guides.... more travel advice
illa's Related Pages
Bhutan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Falling in love with a country"
- "BHUTAN - the last true illusion of the Himalaya"
- "Land of the Thunder Dragon"
- "Into the Last Himalayan Buddhist Kingdom"
- "Another world"
- "A TRIP TO SHANGRI-LA*** BHUTAN, THE DRAGON KINGDOM"
- "Bhutan Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhutan
- Hotels in Bhutan
- Transportation in Bhutan
- Nightlife in Bhutan
- Restaurants in Bhutan
- Shopping in Bhutan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhutan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhutan
- 52 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bhutan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhutan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montana Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Inle Lake Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Paro Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trinidad Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bhaktapur Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thimphu Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Cuba Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues