Phu Quoc Things to Do Tips by jolou Top 5 Page for this destination

Phu Quoc Things to Do: 45 reviews and 95 photos

Nothing to do with this tip - a Phu Quoc cat! - Phu Quoc

Nothing to do with this tip - a Phu Quoc cat!

Booking and organising

Prior to going to Phu Quoc I was a bit worried about places being full etc so took up a quote from a tour company for the return flight and first 5 night accomodation. If you post any questions on the Vietnam forum here you are likely to recieve an email from a tour company offering to help you.

It was good to have the flights booked, however there was really no need to book accomodation as a rep from all the resorts will be there at the airport waiting to lure you to them. We were also wrongly told by this company that our 1st choice (Tropicana) was fully booked and therefore went to the thousand stars (see accomodation tips).

If I was to go there again, I'd either make reservations directly through the resorts or wait until I got there as there's new places popping up all the time.

• Written Apr 24, 2005
New friends - Phu Quoc

New friends

Teach on the beach

The kids we met in Southern Vietnam are desperate to improve their English. If you are relaxing on the beach at around school finishing time be prepared to be surrounded by a chorus of "hellos"!

If I'd been more prepared I'd have taken some kids books etc with me as they seemed very keen to improve their reading and pronunciation. There's no place in Vietnam for being secretive about yourself. Questions such as "how old are you?", "are you married" and worryingly for me whilst in my bikini "are you pregnant?!" are par for the course!

• Updated Apr 23, 2005
Hunting dogs - Phu Quoc

Hunting dogs

Night time dog walking

These two took it upon themselves to escort us back to our resort one night after eating out at a different restaurant. Am not sure whether it was out of kindness or due to our torch assisting them in catching crabs!

The most important tip I could give for Phu Quoc evenings is to take a torch with you. The only way to get to other places on long beach is to walk along the unlit beach (or hop on a motorbike taxi and go the road way).

• Written Apr 23, 2005
Snorkelling snap - Phu Quoc

Snorkelling snap

Snorkelling boat trip

While you are on the island, go on a boat trip to the small islands for some snorkelling. we avoided the more expensive trips that were run by the resorts and went with "Mr Si" who is mainly based at the Rainbow restaurant on the beach.

The trip was $15 for a full day, including lunch, 3 stops for snorkelling around the An Thoi islands and a stop at Bai Sao white sandy beach.

My only critisism was that no flippers were provided (take your own if you can) and not very good warnings were given about protecting yourself from coral cuts in the shallow water. Beware of the sea urchins as well, someone unpleasantly got spiked by one! Otherwise the trip is great value for money.

Directions: Mr Si will probably find you!

Other Contact: phamvansi2003@yahoo.com

Phone: 0919.113520

• Written Apr 23, 2005

jolou

“Better to regret what you've done than to regret what you haven't.”

Badges & Stats in Phu Quoc

Have you been to Phu Quoc?

Latest Activity in Phu Quoc