"art-ur's new Equatorial Guinea Page" Equatorial Guinea by art-ur
Equatorial Guinea Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 37 photos
Area: 28,051 sq km (10,830 sq miles).
Population: 420,000 (1997).
Population Density: 14.6 per sq km.
Capital: Malabo. Population: 40,000 (1994).
Geography: Equatorial Guinea is bordered to the south and east by Gabon, to the north by Cameroon and to the west by the Gulf of Guinea. The country also comprises the island of Bioko, formerly Fernando Poo, 34km (21 miles) off the coast of Cameroon, and the small offshore islands of Corisco, Great Elobey, Small Elobey and Annobón (formerly Pagalu). The mainland province, Rió Muni, is mainly forest, with plantations on the coastal plain and some mountains. Bioko rises steeply to two main peaks in the north and south. The southern area is rugged and inaccessible. Cultivation and settlements exist on the other slopes; above the farming land, the forest is thick. The beaches around the islands are extremely beautiful.
Government: Republic. Declared independence from Spain in 1968. Head of State: President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasugo since 1979. Head of Government: Prime Minister Angel Serafin Seriche Dougan since 1996.
Language: Spanish is the official language. Some French is also spoken. The main African dialects spoken are Fang and Bubi (which is common on Bioko).
Religion: No official religion, but the vast majority are Roman Catholic, with an Animist minority.
Time: GMT + 1.
Electricity: 220/240 volts AC.
COMMUNICATIONS: Telephone: IDD is available. Country code: 240. Operator assistance may be required when making international calls from the country. Post: Service to Western Europe takes up to two weeks.
Mobile telephone: Single band GSM network has recently been developed. Operated by GETESA. Coverage limited to Malabo and a few other inhabited areas.
Press: A Spanish language publication, El Sol, is produced in Equatorial Guinea.
BBC World Service and Voice of America frequencies: From time to time these change.
MHz 17.83 15.40 11.76 6.005
Voice of America:
MHz 17.72 15.41 1.530 0.909
art-ur's Related Pages
Equatorial Guinea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "República de la Guinea Ecuatorial"
- "Spanish speaking country"
- "art-ur's new Equatorial Guinea Page"
- "Equatorial Guinea - Guinea Equatorial"
- "Malabo and EG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Equatorial Guinea
- Transportation in Equatorial Guinea
- Restaurants in Equatorial Guinea
- Warnings and Dangers in Equatorial Guinea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Equatorial Guinea
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Equatorial Guinea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Equatorial Guinea
Top 10 Pages
- Portugal Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Philippines Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- India Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Uganda Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Zambia Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Peru Intro, 2 photos, 1 travelogue