"Libya, the unknown country" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya by cadzand

Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos

I'm right back from Libya. So this page will be under construction for a while.

When I talked to my friends about my plan of travelling into Lybia, which was in the top five on my todo list, almost everyone exclaimed : Libya !!! ??? as if they'd never heard of the country. In fact, they did, of course. but most of them didn't know anything about it, except for that colonel Muammar Gadhafi is the Head of State and that there was the Lockerbie disaster.

I must admit myself that all the information I've got didn't necessarily correspond to reality. I was agreeably surprised by the richness of this country, the kindness of its people and the beauty of its historical sites.

Let me tell you the story of this picture. While walking on my own through the Tripoli medina on a friday afternoon, I suddenly heard someone saying "bonjour madame". I turned around and saw no-one in the street. Again I heard "bonjour madame" and I started looking into partway open doors. No-one. Suddenly I lifted up my eyes and saw this young lady looking down on me. We started a long talk and were both glad having met each other. What a wonderful world !

• Last visit to Libya: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2006

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Very interesting page. Must have been a great trip fro you! Happy birthday from Hamburg!!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 12:35 AM

Informative page, Thx for sharing the picture of the grand mosque in Tripoli and the hotel tips, and the danger/warning tips.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 5:19 AM

Guten Tag Gini :-) Super page here with great tips and even better photos! Yes, you are right: Ramadhan can be pretty "boring" for travellers. Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Travelogues needs to be visited and revisited ;-)))

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Really enjoyed your Libya pages. This is an area that I know little about so I appreciate your helpful tips. Your insights, descriptions, and photographs are all enlightening.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 7:05 AM

Very good information on libya, thanks for sharing and happy new year!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM

Very interesting. Did you have any trouble with the three people rule? I must try and catch up with you in March so you can tell me about it. Cheers.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 3:53 AM

Very good tips, interesting reading and outstanding pictures: especially sunset from your hotel window in Tripoli! The Green Square looks busy place. Great warning on Ramadan.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 4:13 AM

Gheee ... very interesting site! Job well done!

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 10:48 AM

Very interesting tips. I'm going to be living in Libya for the next year.

cadzand

“somewhere over the rainbow....”

Badges & Stats in Libya