"Overijse and the grapes" Overijse by cadzand
Overijse Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 47 photos
Overijse in Flemish Brabant is my home-town, the village where I live since over 30 years. It has more than 24000 inhabitants. Flemish is spoken by the majority of the inhabitants, french is widely spoken too. A large part of the inhabitants come from other european countries, thanks to the European Community, as the Brussels headquarter is nearby.
Next to Overijse-centrum, there are the separated villages Jezus-Eik, Eizer, Terlanen, Ottenburg, Tombeek and Maleizen, which are part of Overijse.
Flemish Brabant has rolling contours, its ground level rising gradually from north to south, culminating in the Forest of Zoniën at 139 m. In 1822 the Forest of Zoniën still covered an area of 12.000 ha. That was all that was left of the once so mighty ‘Kolen Forest’, which was used by the first Belgian historians to explain the phenomenon of the language border. Today there only remains about one third of the Forest of Zoniën as it was in 1822. The largest part of this lies in Flemish Brabant. For a long time the poorest of the poor lived in and around this forest, as was the case with every forest in the world.
The ring of poor boroughs around the Forest of Zoniën very slowly developed into a residential zone for richer people moving out of Brussels, many of them French speakers, and later also as a home to well-off officials from the European Community, NATO staff and executives from foreign companies. This part of Flemish Brabant has always keenly felt the pressure of Brussels. The fact that the new province is Flemish may lighten this pressure, but cannot remove it.
Some great links
streekproducten vlaams brabant
- Pros:a small and friendly village
- Cons:can't find any :-))
- In a nutshell:my home town !
The Genval Lake is located on both of the villages Overijse and Genval (part of Rixensart). The (unvisible haha) border... more travel advice
Jezus Eik is one of the 5 villages belonging to Overijse, and the first one on your way from Brussels to Overijse. The... more travel advice
cadzand's Related Pages
Overijse Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Overijse
- 30 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Overijse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Overijse
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 54 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 40 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 31 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Overijse Intro, 30 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Senegal Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues