"Being part of the capitol" Watermael-Boitsfort by cadzand
Watermael-Boitsfort Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 3 photos
This is one of the "towns" being part of the capitol Brussels.
Until the dawn of the 19th century, Watermael / Watermaal and Boitsfort / Bosvoorde formed two separate hamlets. After many years away from the hustle and bustle of city life, the commune and its calm valleys were turned upside down by Leopold II's urban renewal project. With easy access to the city, it gradually became a highly sought-after residential area.
Today, half of the commune's territory is covered by the forêt de Soignes / Zoniënwoud.
Clusters of semi-rural housing, both for workers and the middle class, give the commune a certain quaint charm. Their unique design qualities have won the garden quarters "Le Logis" and "Le Floréal" the status of protected sites. Together, Place Bischoffsheim / Bischoffsheimplein, Place Wiener / Wienerplein and Place Gilson / Gilsonplein constitute the centre of the commune's activities. The Place Keym / Keymplein, recently renovated without using any asphalt, has become the main commercial centre of Watermael / Watermaal.
The "Le Logis" and "Floréal" cities are particularly green, the roads are lined with trees. The many japanese cherry trees provide a magnificent sight when in blossom. The traditional road network is enhanced by a parallel network of footpaths penetrating into the blocks where semi-piblic meeting and recreation areas are located which are also accessible from the back of the dwellings. Today, these blocks have mainly become passageways, but the garden city remains a place to walk in.
under construction Il fut inscrit dans les statuts du Logis que les coopérateurs effectifs (futurs locataires) devraient... more travel advice
cadzand's Related Pages
Watermael-Boitsfort Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Watermael-Boitsfort
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Watermael-Boitsfort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Watermael-Boitsfort
Photos in Watermael-BoitsfortSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 54 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 40 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 31 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Overijse Intro, 30 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Senegal Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues