"The nice brick patterns" Tozeur by cadzand
Tozeur Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 215 photos
The old town district known as Ouled El Hadef comprises a network of narrow alleys which have changed little since the 14th century.
Houses along the streets are covered by rectangular pale yellow brickwork, that are making patterns when they are arranged in two levels. The result is one of the most distinct and beautiful architectures of Tunisia. The geometric motifs are considered a marvel of Islamic art.
A pleasure for the eye.
The city is well situated at the fringe of the seasonal large lake Chott el Jerid.
Chott El Jerid is one of a series of large salt lakes which lie lifeless in summer but evaporate during the winter to create inland seas.
It covers 5.000 sq km and lies in the middle of Tunisia, close to the Algerian border. Chott el Jerid was some thousand years ago part of the Mediterranean Sea. The chott is easily accessed, as an elevated causeway has been built across it, from Kebili to Tozeur. The part on the eastern side is called Chott el Fejej.
Built in the authentic style of a Tunisian palace the Dar Chariet museum displays in a true life setting rare... more travel advice
cadzand's Related Pages
Tozeur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oasis of Tozeur"
- "Our favourite town in Tunisia"
- "The nice brick patterns"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tozeur
- Hotels in Tozeur
- Nightlife in Tozeur
- Restaurants in Tozeur
- Shopping in Tozeur
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tozeur
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Tozeur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tozeur
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 54 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 40 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 31 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Overijse Intro, 30 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Senegal Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues