"Madurai the temple city" Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai by cadzand
Madurai Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 320 photos
After having visited Kochi with its Backwaters and the Periyar Lake in the state of Kerala, we continue our tour to Madurai.
Originally called Madhurapuram, the city derives its name from the divine nectar (Madhu) that was showered from the locks of Lord Shiva according to a popular belief.
The temple city of Madurai is situated on the banks of the River Vaigai. Madurai is now the second largest city in Tamil Nadu, and is among the most important pilgrimages for Hindus.
Time to take off to Tanjore (Thanjavur)
This tank has an important role in promoting tamil scholars. The Greatest Composition in Tamil - "Thirukkural" by... more travel advice
The towers that loom overhead are famous for detailed carvings of the gods and goddesses, mythological figures and... more travel advice
cadzand's Related Pages
Madurai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madurai the temple city"
- "City of Meenakshi"
- "Madurai - The City of Temples"
- "Madurai and the Sri Meenakshi Sundareshvara Temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madurai
- Hotels in Madurai
- Transportation in Madurai
- Nightlife in Madurai
- Restaurants in Madurai
- Shopping in Madurai
- Warnings and Dangers in Madurai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madurai
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Madurai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madurai
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 54 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 40 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 31 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Overijse Intro, 30 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Senegal Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos