"So many mixed feelings after the Tsunami" Top 5 Page for this destination Mamallapuram by cadzand
Mamallapuram Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 622 photos
Mahabalipuram, or Mamallapuram, was the chief seaport of the Pallavas who ruled over much of South India from as early as the first century B.C to the eighth century A.D., and it is now recognized as the site of some of the greatest architectural and sculptural achievements in India, as there are the Shore Temple, the manmade caves, the 5 Rathas or chariots, the famous Arjuna's Penance and the Krishna Mandapa.
None of these historical monuments have been damaged by the December 26th Tsunami, which cannot been said about the Mamallapuram population, of which 79 people have been killed. Their houses, boats and fishing nets don't exist any more, swept away by the waves...
The surviving families are still living in tent camps between the sea-shore and the main road in poor life conditions, without international help, as it has been refused by the Indian Government.
The relief contained in the Krishna Mandapa was carved in the mid-7th century. Its subject is a pastoral scene showing... more travel advice
The present work evokes the tender relationship between Bhu Devi and her rescuer, in a mood of quiet devotion. Varaha... more travel advice
cadzand's Related Pages
Mamallapuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So many mixed feelings after the Tsunami"
- "Mahabalipuram - World Heritage Site"
- "Mamallapuram - Seashore Town"
- "Glories of Hindu Art"
- "The Shore Temple and more...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mamallapuram
- Hotels in Mamallapuram
- Transportation in Mamallapuram
- Restaurants in Mamallapuram
- Shopping in Mamallapuram
- Warnings and Dangers in Mamallapuram
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pattaya Hotels
- Batu Pahat Hotels
- Dominican Republic
- Steptoe Butte State Park
- Vilanova i la Geltru
- Miniloc Island Hotels
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Hotels
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Washington D.C.
- Boracay Island
- Arapsuyu Hotels
- Ostseebad Binz
- Hazyview Hotels
- Michigan City
Badges & Stats in Mamallapuram
- 23 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mamallapuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mamallapuram
- Posted in Travel Brussels Forum "Re: How Far From City Centre -..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Looking to relax and pick some culture"
- Commented on one of muddybok's Mamallapuram travel pages
- updated a Mamallapuram Travel Page "So many mixed feelings after the Tsunami"
- Wrote a Review The Krishna Mandapa in Mamallapuram Things to Do
Photos in MamallapuramSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 54 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 40 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 31 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Overijse Intro, 30 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Senegal Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Latest Mamallapuram hotel reviews
- GRT Temple Bay Resort
- 571 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- TTDC Hotel Mamallapuram
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Mamalla Beach Resort
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Ideal Beach Resort
- 208 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Mamalla Heritage
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Golden Sun Hotel & Beach Resort
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013