"Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall" Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing by filipdebont

Beijing Travel Guide: 6,338 reviews and 15,979 photos

Our China - Tibet roundtrip started in Beijing.

We had 3,5 days to see Beijing. But there is so much to see and to do in Beijing, that you really need to select, and that is not as easy as there are so many highlights.
But anyway that is already one reason to come back to Beijing for a next visit.

The first day we started at the big Tiananmen Square and of course tourist attraction number One: the Forbidden City. When we left the Forbidden City at the rear side, it started to rain, in no time the streets were flooded, so we had to wait for a few hours before we could return to our hotel.

The second day I visited the beautiful Lama temple at the other side of the city, and also the Confucius temple which was nearby. That morning the weather was not so good: rain, rain, rain . . . .
After lunch I took a taxi towards the Drum and Bell tower. From the Drum tower you had a splendid view over the Huttongs. We ended our day with a visit at a Chinese Acrobatic Show.

The third day we wanted to start with a visit at the Tiantan Park, but the taxi driver had not really understood where we wanted to go, so he did drive to the other side of the city, soon we noticed the mistake and then we changed our plans and went for a visit of the Summer Palace.
The Summer Palace was very crowded with . . . . Chinese of course. But it was well worth to visit. That evening we did go to a performance of the Beijing Opera. We did not really understand the story but it was great to see and . . . . to hear.

The last morning we did drive to Mutianyu, in order to climb the Great Wall.
It was quite a climb in order to reach the Great Wall. But it was worth the effort, as we were lucky, it was sunny so we had a splendid view over the Great Wall, and we could see the Great Wall as a twisting snake over the green hills.

After the visit of the Great Wall, we returned to Beijing in order to catch a domestic flight that would bring us to Lanzhou.

• Pros:a good place to start a China trip
  • Cons:Hot, very Hot
  • Last visit to Beijing: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2005

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Filip, this is so helpful. I have an opportunity to spend a weekend in Beijing. Part of me says, don't bother, it's not enough time! But this helps me plan to make the most of it!

• Dec 1, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Famous city in the world! I always love to be here one day! Have a lot of attractions! Nice page and great informations!

• violett's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2007 at 12:28 PM

I was born in beijing, but now in munich, thank u for your all tips for beijing and vienna. Those were very interesting and helpful:D

• Jul 24, 2007 at 9:24 PM

it is not a special G, it is special D. It is a D inside a bigger G-like figure. D means Di-Tie. Chinese for "subway".

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for the tips . I'll be referring often to your pages for sure as I plan our trip>

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Fantastic pages, outstanding photographs! I like especially local people and kids wearing colorful dresses, architecture and your food tips :-)

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Wow you sure packed a lot into 3 days in Beijing! Excellent pages

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 10:08 AM

Great page, lots of good photos and excellent decriptions, great detail thanks for sharing , will be back for more

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 8:27 PM

An outstanding and comprehensive page, nice photos too.

• tompt's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 2:57 AM

Must come back to see more. This is going to be a huge page! Brings back good memories too. (Maybe we will wait for 2 weeks and see the pictures on paper nbefore we visit here again.....)

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Beijing

Have you been to Beijing?

Latest Activity in Beijing