"Mitla" San Pablo Villa de Mitla by filipdebont
San Pablo Villa de Mitla Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 64 photos
Mitla, a small village, about 45 km from Oaxaca, is very famous for its beautifully decorated ruins. This was an important religious center.
Mitla comes from the word ?mitlán? which means 'land of the death' in the Náhuatl language.
After they left Monte Albán, the Zapotecs came to live here. They built a lot of grave tumbs over here. When the Zapotecs left Mitla, it was already taken by the Mixtecs. And later on came the Spanish.
Note the special fence around the archeological site; it is made of a row of cactuses. I think it is not wise to climb over this kind of fence.
Here in Mitla you can see some Pre-Columbian buildings, these buildings still have the original colors. In the Grupo de... more travel advice
Just outside the church there was a remarkable Way of the Cross. All the Stations of the Cross were painted on the wall... more travel advice
filipdebont's Related Pages
San Pablo Villa de Mitla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohhh...so THIS is Mitla!!!!!"
- "Mosaics & Mezcal"
- "Mitla Ruins"
- "Pictures of Mitla"
- "My San Pablo Villa de Mitla"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Pablo Villa de Mitla
- Transportation in San Pablo Villa de Mitla
- Shopping in San Pablo Villa de Mitla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Pablo Villa de Mitla
- 12 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to San Pablo Villa de Mitla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Pablo Villa de Mitla
Photos in San Pablo Villa de MitlaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues