"St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg by filipdebont
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,480 reviews and 7,351 photos
Saint Petersburg was already long time marked on my want-to-visit list.
And the seeing of all those images of the celebrations of 300 year anniversary of St Petersburg made that feeling only become stronger.
To me it is a fascinating city with great culture and wonderful architecture.
And while visiting St Petersburg, I could combine two of my favourite activities: Tourism and Culture by visiting a performance at the Mariinsky Theatre and at the Mussorgsky Theatre.
So here is my travel report of 5 days in St Petersburg.
Transfer from Schiphol, Holland to Saint Petersburg, Russia.
A small walk along Nevskiy Prospekt towards the Anichkov Bridge, further along the Fontanka, towards the Egyptian Bridge, back via Sadovaya Street.
Walk along Neskiy Prospekt towards Palace Square, visit of the Hermitage; Visit of the Winter Palace of Peter the Great, Visit of exposition in the General Staff building. The Church of the Savior of the Spilled Blood and then via the Art Square back to the Hostel
Walk along Michailovski Castle, along the Summer Garden, the Mars field crossing the long Troitskiy Bridge in order to visit the Peter and Paul fortress, and then further on to Vasilevski Island with its Rostra Columns, and some great buildings. Then again across the Dvortsovyy Bridge towards the Admiralty and the Bronze Horseman at The Decembrists' Square and the finally a visit at the St. Isaac Cathedral. At night in the Mussorgsky Theatre a wonderful production of the Swan Lake Ballet.
A walk along the Griboedova Channel towards the Lion Bridge. Visit at the Mariinski theatre area and a visit at the Nicolas Church. Then with the Metro towards the Alexandro Newskaya Monastery and the Tihvin and Lazarus Cemetery. And then with the Metro towards the Smolny area, with a visit at the Smolny Cathedral and the Tauride Garden with its Palace. In the evening I went to see the Opera Aida in the magnificent Mariinski Theatre.
A small walk along Nevskiy Prospekt, and some Souvenir shopping.
Transfer to the airport and finally back to Belgium.
- Pros:a magnificent city
- Cons:the language and the cyrilic signs
So with my combined Hermitage ticket, I could also visit the exhibition in the General Staff Building. In fact there... more travel advice
- Winter Palace of Peter the Great
- Hermitage Museum
- See All For a quick bite
- Walk on the safe side
filipdebont's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Saint Petersburg~ Russia at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 106 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Posted in Travel Chattanooga Forum "Re: Combining tourist attractions..."
- Commented on one of hunterV's Saint Petersburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review General Staff Building about Monuments in Saint Petersburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Icons in the General Staff building"
- created a Saint Petersburg Travelogue "Hermitage - 2"
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (125)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (63)
Latest Saint Petersburg hotel reviews
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Astoria
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Moscow (Moskva)
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Europe
- 375 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Radisson Blu Royal Hotel
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Business Hotel Karelia
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Park Inn Pribaltiyskaya
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Herzen House Hotel St. Petersburg
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Nevsky 64
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Nevsky Hotel Aster
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Grand Hotel Emerald
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013