"St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg by filipdebont

Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,519 reviews and 7,466 photos

Saint Petersburg was already long time marked on my want-to-visit list.

And the seeing of all those images of the celebrations of 300 year anniversary of St Petersburg made that feeling only become stronger.

To me it is a fascinating city with great culture and wonderful architecture.

And while visiting St Petersburg, I could combine two of my favourite activities: Tourism and Culture by visiting a performance at the Mariinsky Theatre and at the Mussorgsky Theatre.

So here is my travel report of 5 days in St Petersburg.

Program

Day 1:
Transfer from Schiphol, Holland to Saint Petersburg, Russia.
A small walk along Nevskiy Prospekt towards the Anichkov Bridge, further along the Fontanka, towards the Egyptian Bridge, back via Sadovaya Street.

Day 2:
Walk along Neskiy Prospekt towards Palace Square, visit of the Hermitage; Visit of the Winter Palace of Peter the Great, Visit of exposition in the General Staff building. The Church of the Savior of the Spilled Blood and then via the Art Square back to the Hostel

Day3:
Walk along Michailovski Castle, along the Summer Garden, the Mars field crossing the long Troitskiy Bridge in order to visit the Peter and Paul fortress, and then further on to Vasilevski Island with its Rostra Columns, and some great buildings. Then again across the Dvortsovyy Bridge towards the Admiralty and the Bronze Horseman at The Decembrists' Square and the finally a visit at the St. Isaac Cathedral. At night in the Mussorgsky Theatre a wonderful production of the Swan Lake Ballet.

Day4:
A walk along the Griboedova Channel towards the Lion Bridge. Visit at the Mariinski theatre area and a visit at the Nicolas Church. Then with the Metro towards the Alexandro Newskaya Monastery and the Tihvin and Lazarus Cemetery. And then with the Metro towards the Smolny area, with a visit at the Smolny Cathedral and the Tauride Garden with its Palace. In the evening I went to see the Opera Aida in the magnificent Mariinski Theatre.

Day 5:
A small walk along Nevskiy Prospekt, and some Souvenir shopping.
Transfer to the airport and finally back to Belgium.

• Pros:a magnificent city
  • Cons:the language and the cyrilic signs
  • Last visit to Saint Petersburg: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2004

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Hello, Filip! Great page I must say! Thanks for sharing!

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Fantastic Page on one of my top 'Really Want To Go There Cities!' Thanks for sharing your great tips and photos. Brian

• Feb 27, 2008 at 2:37 AM

An interesting page. you are right, it seems this town is filled with amazing buildings. I really have to go!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Now I see I have visited your pages before...Your tips are spot on and even though I lived there for 5 yrs learnt more about the buildings on yr tips My first visit but def not my last.But curious where u got the Jelisejev shop info from??Tim

• Dialing's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Great pages for Saint-Petersburg!! Superb!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 4:48 AM

nice virtual excursion of Hermitage palace. Think of visiting the city again soon, hope to see some paces i didn't see before

• orchid49's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2006 at 12:58 AM

If this building is the tall building near Arbat Street, it is Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I was just back from Sy. PTB and I like this building too so I asked the guide what it was.

• Apr 16, 2006 at 6:48 AM

Bravo!... very very nice page !

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2006 at 5:22 AM

Excellent pictures and very detailed and helpful information. Best page on Sankt Petersburg I’ve seen until now. I really enjoyed reading everything. Thank you.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2005 at 2:48 AM

Quality info, quality photos. The sort of pages I joined VT for.

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?

Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg