"The Great War is never far away . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper by filipdebont

Ieper Travel Guide: 521 reviews and 1,526 photos

Mostly, for me Ieper is the gateway towards the hill area (towards Heuvelland, Kemmelberg, Rode- and Zwarteberg) for my tours with my bicycle.

But I think that is a common fact that one travels around the world and that way we forget to visit the beautiful places nearby our home.

But thanks to VT, I have learned to visit and to revisit the nearby places. As being a member of VT, you learn to look with different eyes; you start to look around as a tourist even in your own region, and that way you discover beautiful gems in your own neighborhood.

A perfect opportunity to do that was the Meeting we (Jean Pierre - wandeljp - , Frans - northsea - and I) organised in Ieper on Saturday April 21st 2007.

We had organised a great welcome, with our own VT-bar, with 4 flavours of Jenever and of course the typical Flemish cakes (named "Lukken" from Destropere) and some delicious Belgium Pralines (chocolates).

We started with a walk along the Ramparts (with the great guiding by Patje), along the way we passed a war cemetery, the Rijsel gate, the wooden house and we finally reached the imposing Menin gate.

Then we continued our journey towards the Grote Markt. Here we could amire the imposing Cloth Hall and Bellfry.

After lunch we continued our journey, via the Celtic Cross we passed St Martin's cathedral (unfortunately we could not visit the Cathedral as there was a wedding ceremony going on, then we visited the St. George's Memorial Church and via the Fish market we arrived back at the Grote Markt.

Now it was time to visit the In Flanders Fields Museum, an interactive museum on the Great War. I a bit a shamed, but I must admit that I had never visited this museum before, so now thanks to this VT meeting it finally happened.

After the visit at the museum everyone was (very) thirsty, so time for some local beers on the terrace of the Old Tom.

After a delicious diner we headed for the Menin Gate for the Last Post Ceremony.

And then it was time to say goodbye, . . of course with a local beer.

It was a fine day with a wonderful group of (old and new) friends.

• Last visit to Ieper: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 10, 2007

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 6:21 AM

Dag Philip. Uitstekend commentaar na een zo goede VT meeting. Wat was die "Iepers Fury"?

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Indeed, it was a great meeting, which started with a hearty welcome. Thanks to all organisers for the job done. Een heel mooie page is dit geworden. Proficiat !!!

• tompt's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Toch wel wat gemist. Zeker de bar moet door iedereen geweldig gevonden zijn. Volgende meeting zijn wij er bij :) Tom en Gonnie

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 5:03 AM

Nogmaals hartstikke bedankt :)

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 12:26 AM

Zullen volgend jaar moeten herdoen zeker? Locatie zien we wel later! Lille is een goed idee. Jean-Pierre

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Hi there filip I heard about the great succesful VT meeting you all had and I am looking for pictures I love the VT signs and the VT Bar Looks like you guys did a great kob organizing this VT meeting Prima gedaan hoor

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 1:33 PM

I also missed a VT bar! Ciao!

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Ieper