"The Great War is never far away . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper by filipdebont
Ieper Travel Guide: 525 reviews and 1,543 photos
Mostly, for me Ieper is the gateway towards the hill area (towards Heuvelland, Kemmelberg, Rode- and Zwarteberg) for my tours with my bicycle.
But I think that is a common fact that one travels around the world and that way we forget to visit the beautiful places nearby our home.
But thanks to VT, I have learned to visit and to revisit the nearby places. As being a member of VT, you learn to look with different eyes; you start to look around as a tourist even in your own region, and that way you discover beautiful gems in your own neighborhood.
A perfect opportunity to do that was the Meeting we (Jean Pierre - wandeljp - , Frans - northsea - and I) organised in Ieper on Saturday April 21st 2007.
We had organised a great welcome, with our own VT-bar, with 4 flavours of Jenever and of course the typical Flemish cakes (named "Lukken" from Destropere) and some delicious Belgium Pralines (chocolates).
We started with a walk along the Ramparts (with the great guiding by Patje), along the way we passed a war cemetery, the Rijsel gate, the wooden house and we finally reached the imposing Menin gate.
Then we continued our journey towards the Grote Markt. Here we could amire the imposing Cloth Hall and Bellfry.
After lunch we continued our journey, via the Celtic Cross we passed St Martin's cathedral (unfortunately we could not visit the Cathedral as there was a wedding ceremony going on, then we visited the St. George's Memorial Church and via the Fish market we arrived back at the Grote Markt.
Now it was time to visit the In Flanders Fields Museum, an interactive museum on the Great War. I a bit a shamed, but I must admit that I had never visited this museum before, so now thanks to this VT meeting it finally happened.
After the visit at the museum everyone was (very) thirsty, so time for some local beers on the terrace of the Old Tom.
After a delicious diner we headed for the Menin Gate for the Last Post Ceremony.
And then it was time to say goodbye, . . of course with a local beer.
It was a fine day with a wonderful group of (old and new) friends.
Beware of the Ypres wildlife . . . No, No, this is not a joke . . . Especially when you are walking around the... more travel advice
At the corner Jules Coomansstraat and Boterstraat (across the street coming from the Grote Markt, along the Cloth hall),... more travel advice
filipdebont's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "Wild West Vlaanderen Meeting April 21, 2007 Pt. 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 34 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Bear spray / Bear bangers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "1st Wild-West Flanders VT-Meeting"
- Wrote a Review Beware of the Ypres wildlfe in Ieper Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Ieper Travel Page "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Ieper travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues