"Voices under the Stars" Villers-la-Ville by filipdebont

Villers-la-Ville Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 145 photos

Many years ago, on a cycling trip I passed the small village of Villers-la-Ville. And then I had notices these magnificent ruins of an old abbey.

But of course then there was no time to visit as we still had many kilometres in front of us, and also I can tell you these cycling shoes are not really made for walking.

So end of August 2004, finally there was the occasion to visit the ruins of Villers-la Ville.

On 26, 24 and 28 of August 2004, there was a very special walking concert in the ruins of the Abbey of Villers-la-Ville.

This walking concert are organised under the name : Stemmen onder de Sterren / Nuits des Choeurs (or in English : Voices under the Stars).

Six vocal groups are performing at different locations in these abbey ruins. Also for this occasion the ruins are lighted, which created a very special atmosphere.

I can tell you it was a very special evening, with many so called chicken-skin moments.

• Last visit to Villers-la-Ville: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2005

• makiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Im looking for places to visit in Europe after I finish a week of work in Milan. Thinking about Belgium. Rob

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 6:00 AM

Great concerts at great sight! Fabulous pictures!

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 11:41 PM

Mooi gedaan, terecht voor deze wondermooie locatie. Een ander ruine van abbey die de moeite waard is deze van Aulnes tussen Lobbes en Thuin ten zuiden van Charleroi.

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 5:16 AM

Great page about the concert . The idea of having the stage under the viaduct is very interesting.

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2005 at 1:59 AM

My god, the flying pickets are still alive? They must be 100 years by now? We have also this type of concert at a ruined abbey nearby and we have been a few times.

• coceng's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2004 at 10:05 AM

Beautiful photos ! :) I would love to come back to belgium one day & explore more ! :) Regards.

• Mahieu's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2004 at 6:17 AM

De omleiding in Nijvel is inderdaad slecht aangeduid! En er was precies veel volk bij dit evenement. Goed om te horen, want ik vind de ruines inderdaad ook een pareltje!

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 10:17 AM

You were there and I wasn't this year :-( A tip to avoid the parking queue : arrive early and have supper in the nearby Brasserie. The easiest route is via E411 and N25

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Villers-la-Ville

Have you been to Villers-la-Ville?

Photos in Villers-la-Ville