"Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte" Vienna by filipdebont
Vienna Travel Guide: 7,421 reviews and 18,494 photos
In September 2205, I made a combined City Trip: a Vienna - Prague trip.
It was a typical FDB organisation (which means I organised it all by myself), full of architecture, culture and local delights.
So I booked an open jaw flight with SN Brussels Airlines from Brussels towards Vienna and then also the flight back from Prague towards Brussels. The transfer from Vienna to Prague was by train.
My trip started on Saturday 3rd of September, I had a morning flight to Vienna, so around noon I arrived in my hotel in the Alserstrasse.
My first afternoon in Vienna, I decided to make a small sightseeing trip in the neighbourhood near my hotel, like this I visited the Schottenring and the Alsergrund area (with the beautiful Votiv Kirche and the cosy Freyung area.
The second day (Sunday) I visited the Josefstadt neighbourhood, the Rathausplatz and the Hofburg area. I also visited the parks (Volksgarden and Burggarten), the Heldenplatz, Hofburg (with the Kaisersappartements and the Silberkammer - Home of Sissy) and the St Michaelsplatz.
Day 3 (Monday) was reserved for a visit at Schloss Schonbrunn, where I also visited the rooms of Kaiser (Emperor) Franz-Josef and Kaiserin (Empress) Elisabeth (better known as Sissy).
From Schloss Schonbrunn I went to the Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery) - by U-bahn (Underground). This is the biggest cemetery of Austria with more then 2.5 million tombs. In the central part you find the tombs of famous composers like Johann Strauss, Beethoven, Brahms and a monument for Mozart.
In the evening I went to a Mozart concert in the Musiekverein.
Day 4 (Tuesday) I visited the Stephansdom quarter. In the morning I did see the training of the beautiful Lipizzaner horses in the Winterreitschule at the Hofburg, and in the afternoon there was the guided tour with a visit at the stables and the main building.
Then I took the Underground towards the Prater Park, with the giant Ferris wheel, from the top position the view over the city was just great.
And to finish the day, I visited the Hundertwasser house.
Day 5 (Wednesday) I visited the Karlsplatz area with the Karlskirche and the Belvedere. And the further on to the Stadtpark with the beautiful statue of Johann Strauss (and many other composers).
I finished my last day in Vienna in style, with a delicious Sacher torte mit Sahne at the Sacher Hotel.
And on day 6 (Thursday) it was time for my transfer by train towards another Cultural Capital, Prague.
- Pros:A wonderful city - a delight to visit
Day 5 : Karlsplatz Enkel de foto werd gepost, in afwachting van de informatie, deze informatie komt wat later. bedankt... more travel advice
Day 4 : Hundertwasser If you are visiting the Hunderwasserhaus, do not forget to visit the Hundertwasser toilet. You... more travel advice
- See All Holzhackertelle (lumberjack dish)
- See All Tasting beer at the Centimeter
- See All By Tram to the Zentral Friedhof
- See All Zentralfriedhof - Monument **
Written Oct 25, 2005
Ceremonial at the Heldenplatz
Written May 26, 2006
Signboards at Centimeter VII
filipdebont's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 138 Reviews
- 487 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- Posted in Travel Chattanooga Forum "Re: Combining tourist attractions..."
- Commented on one of breughel's Vienna travel pages
- Wrote a Review Naschmarkt about Karlskirche - St Charles Church in Vienna Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hundertwasser Village"
- created a Vienna Travelogue "Signboards at Centimeter VII"
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues