"Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte" Vienna by filipdebont

Vienna Travel Guide: 7,417 reviews and 18,490 photos

In September 2205, I made a combined City Trip: a Vienna - Prague trip.

It was a typical FDB organisation (which means I organised it all by myself), full of architecture, culture and local delights.

So I booked an open jaw flight with SN Brussels Airlines from Brussels towards Vienna and then also the flight back from Prague towards Brussels. The transfer from Vienna to Prague was by train.

My trip started on Saturday 3rd of September, I had a morning flight to Vienna, so around noon I arrived in my hotel in the Alserstrasse.

My first afternoon in Vienna, I decided to make a small sightseeing trip in the neighbourhood near my hotel, like this I visited the Schottenring and the Alsergrund area (with the beautiful Votiv Kirche and the cosy Freyung area.

The second day (Sunday) I visited the Josefstadt neighbourhood, the Rathausplatz and the Hofburg area. I also visited the parks (Volksgarden and Burggarten), the Heldenplatz, Hofburg (with the Kaisersappartements and the Silberkammer - Home of Sissy) and the St Michaelsplatz.

Day 3 (Monday) was reserved for a visit at Schloss Schonbrunn, where I also visited the rooms of Kaiser (Emperor) Franz-Josef and Kaiserin (Empress) Elisabeth (better known as Sissy).

From Schloss Schonbrunn I went to the Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery) - by U-bahn (Underground). This is the biggest cemetery of Austria with more then 2.5 million tombs. In the central part you find the tombs of famous composers like Johann Strauss, Beethoven, Brahms and a monument for Mozart.

In the evening I went to a Mozart concert in the Musiekverein.

Day 4 (Tuesday) I visited the Stephansdom quarter. In the morning I did see the training of the beautiful Lipizzaner horses in the Winterreitschule at the Hofburg, and in the afternoon there was the guided tour with a visit at the stables and the main building.

Then I took the Underground towards the Prater Park, with the giant Ferris wheel, from the top position the view over the city was just great.

And to finish the day, I visited the Hundertwasser house.

Day 5 (Wednesday) I visited the Karlsplatz area with the Karlskirche and the Belvedere. And the further on to the Stadtpark with the beautiful statue of Johann Strauss (and many other composers).

I finished my last day in Vienna in style, with a delicious Sacher torte mit Sahne at the Sacher Hotel.

And on day 6 (Thursday) it was time for my transfer by train towards another Cultural Capital, Prague.

• Pros:A wonderful city - a delight to visit
  • Last visit to Vienna: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2006

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2007 at 1:11 AM

great Vienna page - one of my favourite cities. For us though Zentralfriedhof is not off the beaten path but a MUST SEE as we visit Beethoven there (in his 2nd grave)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 5:48 AM

wow, what a comprehensive place. I can almost taste the Zacher Torte ;-)

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 6:26 AM

unbelievable amount of work u've put on this page--i'll have to some back for more--thanks

• am&pm's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM

What a wonderful tour of Vienna you've given us!! Excellent! I would love to see this city and surrounding area one day. The architecture and the history alone are worth the trip. Thanks for all the information---I see more to come :)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Great tribute to old architecture, interesting descriptions, beautiful pictures. Bautiful ceiling in the Schottenkirche and military ceremonial at the Heldenplatz. Thanks for forbidden pictures of the Kaiserappartments in the Hofburg complex :-)

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 4:52 PM

The Schonbrunner Palace and its grounds provide a wonderful place to explore.

• Jun 7, 2006 at 3:19 AM

Congrats, comprehensive tips which are easy to fommow, this will be a great help for my next Vienna trip

• Goldenboy's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 12:59 AM

Hi Filip, enjoying today thru your pages ... Thanks!

• mickeyjane1's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Hi Filip Great tips, How are you?

• Feb 14, 2006 at 3:35 AM

Tres jolie page - tres interessante

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Vienna