"More then just the leaning tower" Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa by filipdebont

Pisa Travel Guide: 1,419 reviews and 3,977 photos

In September 2004 (04-09 till 12/09), I had planned a short Italy trip. This trip started in Rome, then with the train to Firenze, with a journey to Siena, and the trip ended in Pisa.

I had an evening flight from Pisa towards Brussels South - Charleroi, like this I still had the whole day to visit Pisa.

Coming from Firenze, it was only one hour by train. I dropped my luggage at the left luggage department in the railway station Pisa Centrale.

My guidebook advised me to take a bus to the Piazza dei Miracoli where the mayor tourist highlights are. But I decided to walk, I had plenty of time, and what is a better way to see a city then by foot?

Already after 5 minutes I reached the Arno River. There were some great views from the bridge. I also visited two churches which were located along the Arno River, the small but beautifully decorated marble Santa Maria della Spina and the San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno.

From the Arno River it was just a short walk towards the Piazza dei Miracoli. During the first part of my Pisa visit I did almost see no tourist, but that changed when I reached the Piazza dei Miracoli, Oh my God, what a crowd.

At the Piazza dei Miracoli, I bought a combined ticket so I could visit al the monuments and museums, for the famous tower I needed to buy an extra (expensive) ticket.

After visiting Pisa’s tourist highlights (Battistero, Duomo, Campo Santo and the Campanille), I returned towards the train station via the Piazza dei Cavalieri, at this Piazza there are some magnificent Palaces.

It was well worth to spend a day in Pisa; it was the finishing of a beautiful week in Sunny Italy. In the evening I returned to Belgium a bit tired but with a happy feeling . . .

Oh yes; Italia, te amo . . .

• Last visit to Pisa: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2004

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I'm going to re visit Pisa next month. Ciao!

• deebum25's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I like to use local transport (never taxis) when I travel and it is so helpful to have someone include a photo of what the train stations, ticket machines, etc., look like. Thanks loads for all the detail. Don't ever think it's not appreciated!

• Nov 10, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Excellent website! Information and pictures. I love this picture: Great view from the Baptistery dome!

• Nic2004's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Great, a very helpful page.

• dongix's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 4:21 AM

Thanks Filip. Your pages are very comprehensive and extremely helpful. The best Pisa page I saw on VT.

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 8:57 AM

Wow, I'd never seen a more comprehensive page on Pisa than yours dude! Great job. Come to think of it, I been to Pisa twice and I'd never been to some of the places mentioned! I don't even know it existed. I wish I discovered VT b4 my trips! :(

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 3:05 PM

OK.. I'l check the rest here, then. Oh! I see. This female tourist inspired you to show your mighty biceps, holding the Tower.

• myriam_c's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 2:46 PM

Magnifident page of a beautiful city. All those who say that Pisa isn't worth a visit are so wrong. Hope you enjoyed the football match. ;-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 2:55 AM

It is a miracle indeed, thank God!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 3:16 AM

You are so right, Pisa is more than only the leaning tower. Excellent overview, well done.

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Pisa