"Saturday Market in Otavalo" Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo by filipdebont

Otavalo Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 407 photos

Our rain-forest trip in Cuyabeno ended in the airport of Quito, the capital of Ecuador.

There a bus waited for us to bring us to the Northern part of Ecuador.

Our destination was Otavalo. The driver was German, a friendly man, and he would be our driver for the next two weeks.

As it was dark outside, I can not tell you much on the ride from Quito to Otavalo. I just remember that it was very, very cold in the bus, as I just was wearing a T-shirt (coming from the hot rain forest) and seated near an entry door which was not closing completely.

We stayed in Peguche, a small town on walking distance of Otavalo.

The hotel was an old train station and the owner was a friendly Dutch lady.

• Pros:great atmosphere at the local market
  • Last visit to Otavalo: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2004

• marie&ariel's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 10:03 AM

Hi, I am enjoying your Ecuador pages. I am from Quito, regarding the necklaces, don't know were they are originally form but I do now that Otavalenos make their own. They purchase the beads and make their necklaces.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Sounds like an interesting town. I'm revising places to visit in Ecuador for my trip to South America next year.

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 6:17 AM

Interesting observations, Filip! Our niece (who just turned 18) is staying in Ecuador right now for a couple of months.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2004 at 5:29 AM

Great Photographs and interesting pages.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 8:49 AM

Chapeau Filip - great pictures of the market - can't way to see pictures of Galapagos greets Luc

• pwalters's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2004 at 3:24 AM

Great page on Otavalo, great pictures of the market

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2004 at 3:32 PM

Amazing photos and insights of your trip to Ecuador! Great to have such a close look at the life of the local inhabitants!

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Otavalo

Have you been to Otavalo?

Latest Activity in Otavalo