"Quito" Top 5 Page for this destination Quito by filipdebont
Quito Travel Guide: 1,106 reviews and 3,080 photos
My one-month roundtrip in Ecuador started (and ended) in Quito. Quito is the Capital of Ecuador.
Quito is at 2800 m altitude, which makes a bit tough to walk around after you have just landed (and coming from the Low Countries).
Quito was founded in 1534 by the Spanish; this city was built on the ruins of a big Inca city.
It is a very long city (more then 41 km long), as it is built in a valley which is surrounded by big volcanoes and high hills.
In Quito you can see many beautiful churches and also many Colonial buildings. Also Quito was declared Cultural Patrimony of Mankind by the UNESCO.
One our first day in Ecuador, we did it slowly, like this we wanted to get used to the high altitude. Personally I had a bit of problems with sleeping (partly jet-lag and altitude sickness).
Also when you are walking the steep hills of this city, soon you will notice the fact that there is less oxygen in the air.
So don't worry, just take time to acclimatize.
- Pros:a great Colonial City
- Cons:to many pick-pockets
La Mitad del Mundo = The Middle of the World About 23 km from Quito you find this remarkable monument. This one of the... more travel advice
There was loud music on the Plaza. And the group of young students were dancing on the Plaza. An open Ranchero was... more travel advice
- See All Dining in style
- See All Lots of Busses
- Local People
filipdebont's Related Pages
Quito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- "b1bob does Quito big time"
- "A city among volcanoes"
- "Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito"
- "¡Bienvenidos a Quito!"
- "Connected with nature at the middle of the earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quito
- Hotels in Quito
- Transportation in Quito
- Nightlife in Quito
- Restaurants in Quito
- Shopping in Quito
- Warnings and Dangers in Quito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quito
- 49 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Quito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quito
Photos in QuitoSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues