"Quito" Top 5 Page for this destination Quito by filipdebont

Quito Travel Guide: 1,075 reviews and 2,921 photos

My one-month roundtrip in Ecuador started (and ended) in Quito. Quito is the Capital of Ecuador.
Quito is at 2800 m altitude, which makes a bit tough to walk around after you have just landed (and coming from the Low Countries).

Quito was founded in 1534 by the Spanish; this city was built on the ruins of a big Inca city.
It is a very long city (more then 41 km long), as it is built in a valley which is surrounded by big volcanoes and high hills.

In Quito you can see many beautiful churches and also many Colonial buildings. Also Quito was declared Cultural Patrimony of Mankind by the UNESCO.

One our first day in Ecuador, we did it slowly, like this we wanted to get used to the high altitude. Personally I had a bit of problems with sleeping (partly jet-lag and altitude sickness).
Also when you are walking the steep hills of this city, soon you will notice the fact that there is less oxygen in the air.
So don't worry, just take time to acclimatize.

• Pros:a great Colonial City
  • Cons:to many pick-pockets
  • Last visit to Quito: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• kaleonard's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I have to do a virtual tour for my college class and it is suppose to seem real. So thanks for the help in this because you gave me a great insight for my project.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 10:21 AM

Interesting tips. Did you have personal experience of getting robbed there?

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2006 at 10:31 AM

Thank you! Your tips were helpful in planning for a possible trip there later this year.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 3:12 PM

Beautiful skies. Beautifl music under the stars. Great colonial architecture. Quito seems like a great bonus for a Galapagos trip.

• AlwaysATraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 9:30 PM

Great tips. Thanks. We will be traveling to Quito next month!

• el_ruso's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 5:30 PM

Thank you for sharing lots of great photos and really good information. This is really one of the best pages I have seen on VT, on any city. I did not notice any particular problem with pickpockets, however, when I was there.

• rsleisk's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2005 at 9:43 AM

Wow, Quito looks truly exciting! Nice pages on this South America beautiful city.

• damaris05's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2004 at 1:28 PM

Great Quito page! Lovely Pictures!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2004 at 6:21 AM

Wonderful page on Quito. Thanks for sharing!

• Alice-Kees's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 3:28 PM

great pics and stories on quito.. didn't even have time to read them all... you made this to me unknown city come to live...

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Quito