"Santiago, Capital of Chile" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago by filipdebont

Santiago Travel Guide: 951 reviews and 2,200 photos

During the summer of 2008, I've made a Trans South America trip. This trip started in Santiago de Chile and ended in Rio de Janeiro.

This 28-day trip was organised by the Dutch travel agency Djoser (www.djoser.nl).

And as this trip started in Santiago, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to add another exciting destination to this trip, so I added one week Easter Island (Isla Pasqua), like this I've made a 5 weeks trip.

So I arrived in Santiago after a 14h flight coming from Paris, and then further towards Easter Island. After one week on this mysterious Island I returned to Santiago in order to meet my companion travellers to start the 4-week Trans South America roundtrip.

The first morning in Santiago, our Dutch tour leader Andres guided us through the city. Our hotel was located near Baquedano roundabout, from where we walked along the Bernardo O’Higgins Avenida.
We passed the University and headed for the Cerro Santa Lucia, which we climbed for a bird view over the city, it was a grey morning, but the anyway the view was great.

Next to the Cerro Santa Lucia is the National Library. At the other side were the Iglesia San Francisco and the Barrio Paris-Londres. After some walking it was time for some coffee. Our guide told us about the best coffee in town, and so we headed for the typical coffee bars in Santiago : caffee con Piernas (translated coffee with legs – see video), it was a special experience and yes the coffee was delicious.

From there we walked towards the Plaza de Armas via La Moneda. At Plaza de Armas the guided tour ended, and the group splitted, I still visited the cathedral.

The next morning, it was raining which made the city look even greyer then the day before, I walked along the Parque Forestal before entering the Barrio Bellavista.

It was nice walking in the barrio Bellavista with all the colourful houses, and this was also the way up to Cerro San Christobal, on the way up I stopped for a visit to the Santiago Zoo, and then further up the hill for the splendid view and the Maria Statue.

Our last morning was walked towards La Moneda to see the changing of the guards (every other day at 10 o’clock); we arrived a bit early so there was time for another Caffee con Piernas.

The changing of guard’s ceremony looked great with some beautiful music -> see videos I added.

And then it was time to go back to the hotel as the bus was waiting to bring us to our next destination : Vina del Mar.

• Last visit to Santiago: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2008

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Filip - I really enjoyed your page and the lovely photos

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Nice page! Good hotel and restaurant tips. Glad to see you visited the zoo, and I wonder what kind of condition the animals were in.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Interesting that they have Belgian beer and old Belgian busses over there on the other side of the world. But one thing I have never seen in Belgium is a Cafe con Piernas -- this must be a unique Chilean business idea! (Nice tips and video on that.)

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM

The cafe in Santiago is interesting !

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 2:43 AM

i hear there are some interesting Wineries not fatraway ? ;-)))

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Dat is reeds een goeie start. Ik kijk al uit naar de rest. Honger zal je wel niet gehad hebben... of toch ? Groetjes

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Nog pas terug en al aan 't werk! Ik kan bijna niet wachten om verder te lezen. Vergeet toch niet U verjaardag good te vieren, hé. Dikke proficiat !!! Tot een van deze dagen, groetjes ,JP

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Hello, Filip! Thanks for your introduction and good tips!

filipdebont

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Badges & Stats in Santiago

Have you been to Santiago?

Latest Activity in Santiago