"Santiago, Capital of Chile" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago by filipdebont
Santiago Travel Guide: 955 reviews and 2,219 photos
During the summer of 2008, I've made a Trans South America trip. This trip started in Santiago de Chile and ended in Rio de Janeiro.
This 28-day trip was organised by the Dutch travel agency Djoser (www.djoser.nl).
And as this trip started in Santiago, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to add another exciting destination to this trip, so I added one week Easter Island (Isla Pasqua), like this I've made a 5 weeks trip.
So I arrived in Santiago after a 14h flight coming from Paris, and then further towards Easter Island. After one week on this mysterious Island I returned to Santiago in order to meet my companion travellers to start the 4-week Trans South America roundtrip.
The first morning in Santiago, our Dutch tour leader Andres guided us through the city. Our hotel was located near Baquedano roundabout, from where we walked along the Bernardo O’Higgins Avenida.
We passed the University and headed for the Cerro Santa Lucia, which we climbed for a bird view over the city, it was a grey morning, but the anyway the view was great.
Next to the Cerro Santa Lucia is the National Library. At the other side were the Iglesia San Francisco and the Barrio Paris-Londres. After some walking it was time for some coffee. Our guide told us about the best coffee in town, and so we headed for the typical coffee bars in Santiago : caffee con Piernas (translated coffee with legs – see video), it was a special experience and yes the coffee was delicious.
From there we walked towards the Plaza de Armas via La Moneda. At Plaza de Armas the guided tour ended, and the group splitted, I still visited the cathedral.
The next morning, it was raining which made the city look even greyer then the day before, I walked along the Parque Forestal before entering the Barrio Bellavista.
It was nice walking in the barrio Bellavista with all the colourful houses, and this was also the way up to Cerro San Christobal, on the way up I stopped for a visit to the Santiago Zoo, and then further up the hill for the splendid view and the Maria Statue.
Our last morning was walked towards La Moneda to see the changing of the guards (every other day at 10 o’clock); we arrived a bit early so there was time for another Caffee con Piernas.
The changing of guard’s ceremony looked great with some beautiful music -> see videos I added.
And then it was time to go back to the hotel as the bus was waiting to bring us to our next destination : Vina del Mar.
The changing of the Guards ceremony was great to see, but I also loved the music played by the military band. During... more travel advice
While visiting Santiago our Dutch tour leader Andres told us about the best coffee in town. We did not really know what... more travel advice
Written Nov 30, 2008
Changing of the Guards - 1
Written Nov 30, 2008
Changing of the Guards - 2
filipdebont's Related Pages
Santiago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago, Chile"
- "a great place"
- "Working in Santiago"
- "Santiago, Capital of Chile"
- "Between the mountains and the sea"
- "VT Meeting in Santiago"
- "A little taste of South America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago
- Hotels in Santiago
- Transportation in Santiago
- Nightlife in Santiago
- Restaurants in Santiago
- Shopping in Santiago
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago
- 47 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Santiago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Bear spray / Bear bangers"
- updated a Santiago Travel Page "Santiago, Capital of Chile"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Changing of the Guards - 2"
- Wrote a Review Military band at Changing of the Guards about La Moneda in Santiago Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Santiago
- Commented on one of Bjorgvin's Santiago travel pages
Photos in SantiagoSee All Photos (146)
Videos in SantiagoSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues