Land Rheinland-Pfalz Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Transportation: 24 reviews and 46 photos
parking in Cochem
When driving your own car or motorhome through the Mosel-valley you have to choose carefully the best side of the river.
You may drive almost the whole river on both banks on a road very close to the Mosel / Moselle, but only a few bridges and some carferrys will force you to decide in advance, which road to take.
When driving from Koblenz to Bernkastel - Kues you will need the whole day for the long and winding road just on one of the river-banks, including a few stops for photography and a lunch.
You may see a map of the total Mosel / Moselle - valley on my link below !
Type: Car/Motor Home
The Mosel-Wein-Express in Cochem
In Cochem it is certainly a good idea to take the tour by the small street-train, that is shown on my picture:
The tours will start on a regular basis on the big square in the very centre of Cochem, next to the Mosel-bridge .
The train-ride takes 25 minutes and is 4 Euros and that price includes also a coupon for a small glass of Mosel-wine, that you may taste in a shop nearby . The wine-glass will be your souvenir ! Children pay just 2 Euros, but will get NO drinks of course.
Other Contact: %B%CB%S4Fax:+49 (0)2671 7445
Phone: +49 (0)2671-7444
biking-path in Beilstein
Biking along the banks of the river Mosel / Moselle is easy and also quite flat at most places. In general the car-trafic is quite low, at least on the right bank of the river and at many places you will even find a seperate biking-track for safe riding.
Here you may click on 2 links regarding biking in the Mosel-valley :
where to rent a bike in the Mosel-valley
the small ferry in Beilstein
There are several places along the river, where small ferryboat will take you and your car across the Mosel and mostly these ferry-boats are just big enough for 2-4 small cars and a few bikes.
These ferries are operated mainly in summertime and only during daylight. Unfortunately I could not find any timetable. There is quite some cruise- and cargoship-trafic on the river Mosel, so you will have to considder, that going accross the Mosel on such a small ferry might cost you half an hour or even more, BUT it will still save you lots of kilometers, as bridges are hardly to be found across the river Mosel.
the Concorde in the Museum in Sinsheim
Frankfurt / Hahn is pretty close to Bernkastel-Kues, maybe 30km off the river Mosel ( BUT 150 Km off the well known airport of Frankfurt am Main)
That way the whole Mosel-valley even has it's own airport with cheap airlines like Ryanair landing. The whole region around Hahn seems to live on that airport with small hotels and restaurants around it. At the moment (2005) there are road-constructions as well there !
For more infos and pics, hotels etc. nearby the airport Frankfurt / Hahn - please click on my link below !
On my picture : The Concorde, that you may visit inside the SINSHEIM technical museum ( about 150km off Berncastel) togeather with lots of more aircrafts, vintage cars, trains etc. - have a look on my Sinsheim-page for more infos and pics !!
take the old Mercedes to the castle Landshut
Take the old Mercedes to drive you up to castle Landshut, high above the village of Bernkastel. Every hour on the hour this lovely vintage-4x4-bus will leave at the ship-station and take you within 35 minutes to the castle. And of course you may drive up, spend some time in the castle and drive down with a later bus.
3,50 Euros for one way up
2,50 Euro for one way down
take the chairlift to Pinnerkreuz
Pinnerkreuz is the name of a mountain opposite of the scenic castle of Cochem and from that mountain you may enjoy the very best view of the castle with the Mosel-valley and its surroundings.
On top of the mountain you may take several hiking-paths or spend some time in the restaurant with a perfect view on the castle.
The tickets for the chairlift are 4 Euros one-way or 5,50 Euros return.
Almost on the very top you will be asked by a charming lady, whether you like to have a picture taken from you. When you are back in the valley again, you will get 2 different postcards with you on the lift and the castle of Cochem in the background for a total of 7 Euros. When you click on my picture, you may see the castle of Cochem between the cables.
between easter and mid-november 09.30a.m. - 06.30p.m.
The lift is in Endertstrasse 44
you simply follow the street next to the Mosel-bridge to the north
Other Contact: %B%CB%S4Fax:+49(0)2671-989064
cruising in Cochem
day-cruises on the river Mosel will start on a regular basis from Koblenz, Cochem and from Bernkastel-Kues. These cruises will mostly take the whole day and not always you will find a ship, where you may stop-over in smaller places like Beilstein and go on by the next ship the same day. Therefore you eighter have to take a cruise without getting out of the ship and enjoy the landscape of the Mosel valley from the ship, or you make a stop-over, stay over night and go on the next day.
For more infos about cruises from Cochem to Beilstein - please click on my link below !
There is a good train-line running along the river Mosel / Moselle and it covers mainly the left bank of the river . In addition to the trains you will have busses running at the other side of the river, and you may change from train to Bus at theese villages with bridges across the river :
Bernkastel-Kues, Cochem, Trier, Koblenz, Traben-Trarbach
Check for time-tables and connections on my link below !
Bengel - Bullay - Cochem -Ediger-Eller - Ehrang - Föhren - Güls - Hatzenport - Hetzerath - Igel - Kattenes - Klotten - Kobern-Gondorf - Koblenz - Koblenz-Moselweiß - Konz - Kövenig - Lehmen - Löf - Moselkern - Müden - Neef - Nennig - Pfalzel - Pommern - Quint - Reil - Saarburg - Schweich - Serrig - Traben-Trarbach - Treis-Karden - Trier - Ürzig - Wiltingen - Winningen - Wittlich
More Reviews (99)
- Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of...
- Some links for your vacation in the...
- See All Ruedesheim - Drosselgasse
- See All Ruedesheim am Rhein - das...
- Cruising the Rhine in the Moonlight
- See All dining where the mintmasters used to...
- See All a quiet and romantic hotel in Bacharach
- trains in the Rhine-valley are terrible...
- See All Wilhelmsbau - a great museum in Speyer
- Cycling along the river Rhein / Rhine
- See All A great shop inside the Speyer Technik...
Been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share your travels with the world!
globetrott's Related Pages
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your vacations along the rivers Rhine & Mosel"
- "When god created paradise, he created Palatinate"
- "Castles in the air"
- "Rhineland Palatinate - Re-Discovered!"
- "Rhine - Palatinate"
- "Permanently under construction"
- "Land Rheinland-Pfalz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Hotels in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Transportation in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Nightlife in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Restaurants in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Shopping in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port Angeles
- Nicaragua Hotels
- Odessa Hotels
- Del Rosa Hotels
- Srirampur Hotels
- Atlantic City
Badges & Stats in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- 392 Reviews
- 1,036 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Commented on one of Maryimelda's Land Rheinland-Pfalz travel pages
- updated a Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Page "For your vacations along the rivers Rhine & Mosel"
- Wrote a Review Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of nowhere !! in Land Rheinland-Pfalz Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of nowhere !!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Land Rheinland-Pfalz hotels
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Mainz Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 712 Photos
- Cochem Hotels
- 215 Reviews - 457 Photos
- Remagen Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 578 Reviews - 1447 Photos
- Bernkastel-Kues Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Bad Kreuznach Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Sankt Goar Hotels
- 113 Reviews - 454 Photos
- Worms Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 266 Photos
- Traben-Trarbach Hotels
- 125 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Bacharach Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 352 Photos
- Kaiserslautern Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 232 Photos
- Bingen am Rhein Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 284 Photos
- Oberwesel Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Bad Dürkheim Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 41 Photos