Land Rheinland-Pfalz Off The Beaten Path Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Off The Beaten Path: 42 reviews and 135 photos
Ruedesheim am Rhein - das Niederwalddenkmal
Niederwalddenkmal is a monument that was built high above the town of Ruedesheim in order to commemorate the end of the war of 1870/71 between France and Germany. The architects Johannes Schilling and Karl Weisbach needed 6 years for the construction of the giant monument, and even Kaiser Wilhelm I. came for the inauguration . The basement of the monument is 25 meters high and the goddess Germania 12,5 meters high, her sword is 7 meters... around the monument you will see all coats of arms of the german empire.
Below the monument you may walk down the hill again, walking through great garden-terraces and ejoy the view of the Rhine-valley !
Assmannshausen - north of Ruedesheim
The small village of Assmannshausen is well worth a visit, as it shows lots of great half-timbered houses .
The streets are rather narrow, and parking inside the village is almost impossible, but you may park at the river and walk a few hundred meters to see these great buildings.From Assmannshausen you may also drive up the hill in order to get to the Niederwalddenkmal and the great panorama-view over the Rhine ( or you take the chairlift from Ruedesheim in order to get there!)
Assmannshausen is about 5km downstream from Ruedesheim at the right bank of the river Rhine.
Ediger-Eller in the Mosel-valley
Ediger-Eller is another lovely village in the Mosel-valley, situated about 25km upstream from Cochem. You will drive through Ediger-Eller on your way to Bernkastel-Kues and I think it is well worth a short stop-over. Already from the street you pass through you will see several beautiful halftimbered houses and plenty of places, where you may sit in a garden-restaurant and taste the famous local Mosel-wines.
All of these small villages are not yet overrun by tourists like Cochem and Bernkastel, and prices in restaurants and hotels are much below the ones in Cochem and Bernkastel.
Castle Sternberg / Sterrenberg
From castle Liebenstein - high above Kamp-Bornhofen in the Rhine-valley - you may walk within only 15-20 minutes to castle Sternberg ( also sometimes called castle Sterrenberg).
My picture shows the quite unique innercourt of the castle, that is privately owned, but open to the public.I was there early in the morning, 2 hours before the restaurant would have opened, and I was able to walk around anyway and take my pics .
This castle is also a great place to have lunch or dinner and enjoy the great panorama of the Rhine-valley !
Siegfried's Mechanisches Musikkabinett
Siegfried's Mechanisches Musikkabinett in Ruedesheim is one of the biggest collections of automatic music-instruments and musicboxes in europe. Go inside, even when you will have not enough time to see the museum, the exhibits shown on my page are shown in the entrance hall, BEFORE you get to the cashier.
Siegfried's Mechanisches Musikkabinett inside of Broemserhof ,a lovely castle with a half-timbered facade, not far away from Drosselgasse.
I did not dare to put in some coins, but I may imagine that most of the machines are still working fine that way, and performances of these musicboxes are also part of every guided tour through the museum.
The entry fee is 5,50 Euros and 3 Euros for students and children.
Adress: Im Brömserhof, Oberstraße 29, 65385 Ruedesheim
Other Contact: %B%CB%S4Fax: +49(0) 67 22 /45 87
Phone: +49(0) 67 22 /4 92 17
Burg Lahneck is a really interesting castle, built high above the place, where the river LAHN flows into the Rhine.
The castle dates back to 1245 and you may visit it with a guided tour only. Tours are daily 10.00a.m. - 05.00 p.m. between easter and end of October.
Unfortunately I did not go inside, as for the next tour I would have to have waited 1,5 hours :-((
Just a few meters from the castle, you may see a great restaurant with a lovely terrace facing the Rhine-valley and with a great view on castle Kapellen-Stolzenfels. There is also a camping-site close to Burg Lahneck.
The ruins of Ehrenfels castle are about 80 meters above the Rhine, not far from Ruedesheim and the Maeuseturm. The castle was first mentioned in a document in 1573 , but it is certainly much older than that. The river Rhine was a perfect place to build a castle and live on the toll, the merchants had to pay, when sailing on the Rhine.
This castle was built by the family von Bolanden, who owned several big castles along the river Rhine.
The Roman museum in Remagen
Already the old Romans setteled along the river Rhine and built their fortifications there, and that way the former Roman castello Ricomagus became the town of Remagen, as we know it today. Parts of the medieval townwalls are still to be seen at some places in Remagen, mainly in Milchgasse and most of them remained almost unchanged, as they became part of the buildings built behind of it.
The "Roemisches Museum" / Roman Museum in Remagen is just a few steps from the church and about 100 meters from the Rhine-promenade..
At this very place the old Romans built a house with several columns, on top of some of these remains a chapel was built in the 15th century and the building was finally given to the city of Remagen as a donation.
every wednesdays till sundays.
or for groups upon appointment : Tel: +49(0)2642 201-59
Phone: +49(0)2642 201-59
The Krypta of the cathedral in Speyer
The Krypta is certainly one of the highlights, when visiting the cathedral of Speyer.
Plenty of bishops, kings and noblemen are buried there. In one of the side-niches you will also find the tomb of Edith Stein ( 1891 - 1942 )
she was born jewish and converted to christianity and became a Carmelite nun. She was sent to the KZ and was finally killed there in 1942.
You may walk down the Krypta on your own freely and without restrictions. Photography is no problem eighter, as long as you don't do it during the church-service.Guided tours of the cathedral are available upon reservation !
or by Fax: 06232 102 119
Other Contact: %B%CB%S4Fax: 06232 102 119
Phone: 06232 - 102 118
Speyer - Historisches Museum der Pfalz
Just about 200 meters from the lerge cathedral in Speyer you will see this interesting regional museum, the building looks great already from outside.
While I was in Speyer, there was a special exhibition "100 years Playmobil" - but besides such special exhibitions the museum shows also the precious treasuries of the cathedral, a wine-museum and a museum about the history of Speyer beginning with the stone-age untill nowadays.
Even when you do not intend to see the exhibitions of Historisches Museum der Pfalz , it certainly makes sense to take a closer look at the beautiful facade - especially the one above the main-entrance.
Click on my picture and enjoy this great relief with golden inscriptions and ornaments.
10.00 a.m. - 06.00 p.m.
The entrence-fee is 7 Euros
Guided tours are possible upon appointment :
make a reservation :(0 62 32) 62 02 22
Other Contact: %B%CB%S4info@museum.speyer.de
Phone: +49(0) 62 32) 1 32 50
More Reviews (89)
- Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of...
- Some links for your vacation in the...
- See All Ruedesheim - Drosselgasse
- Cruising the Rhine in the Moonlight
- See All dining where the mintmasters used to...
- See All a quiet and romantic hotel in Bacharach
- trains in the Rhine-valley are terrible...
- See All Wilhelmsbau - a great museum in Speyer
- Cycling along the river Rhein / Rhine
- See All Biking along the river Mosel / Moselle
- See All A great shop inside the Speyer Technik...
Been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share your travels with the world!
globetrott's Related Pages
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your vacations along the rivers Rhine & Mosel"
- "When god created paradise, he created Palatinate"
- "Castles in the air"
- "Rhineland Palatinate - Re-Discovered!"
- "Rhine - Palatinate"
- "Permanently under construction"
- "Land Rheinland-Pfalz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Hotels in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Transportation in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Nightlife in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Restaurants in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Shopping in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Canlaon City Hotels
- Mürren Hotels
- Province of Mindoro Oriental
- Loretteville Hotels
- David Hotels
- Twin Falls
Badges & Stats in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- 392 Reviews
- 1,036 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Commented on one of Maryimelda's Land Rheinland-Pfalz travel pages
- updated a Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Page "For your vacations along the rivers Rhine & Mosel"
- Wrote a Review Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of nowhere !! in Land Rheinland-Pfalz Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of nowhere !!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Top Land Rheinland-Pfalz hotels
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Mainz Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 712 Photos
- Cochem Hotels
- 215 Reviews - 457 Photos
- Remagen Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 578 Reviews - 1447 Photos
- Bernkastel-Kues Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Bad Kreuznach Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Sankt Goar Hotels
- 113 Reviews - 454 Photos
- Worms Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 266 Photos
- Kaiserslautern Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 232 Photos
- Bacharach Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 352 Photos
- Oberwesel Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Bingen am Rhein Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 284 Photos
- Traben-Trarbach Hotels
- 125 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Bad Dürkheim Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 41 Photos