"the northern-most part of Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Schleswig-Holstein by globetrott

Land Schleswig-Holstein Travel Guide: 786 reviews and 2,331 photos

Schleswig-Holstein is the northernmost county / Bundesland of Germany
____________________________________________

My mother was born in Flensburg / Schleswig-Holstein. My grandfather was an Austrian citizen, who left Vienna after WW I in order to live and work in Danmark. He married a lovely danish girl, my grandmother. After they had 3 children my grandfather lost his job there, came to Germany, used to be a foreigner and had lost his job there again, when Hitler took over Germany. After the "Anschluss" of Austria in 1938, he was allowed to work again and so my mother grew up in Schleswig-Holstein and although she had an Austrian passport from the first day of her life, she did not come to Austria untill she was 19 years old....

So these facts are my "connections" to Schleswig Holstein, where we had stayed so many times and at many places of the childhood of my mother, when-ever we were on vacations there

• Last visit to Land Schleswig-Holstein: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2007

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 2:35 PM

I always enjoy pages with personal touches, and learning about your mother's connection was fascinating. Great use of "hidden photographs", wonderful information with detail, helpful information, and interesting facts.

• Oct 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM

you're right, those houses look like Dutch ones in Germany

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Great page about your mother homeland. I have been to Schleswig-Holstein several times but with very short visits. It differs from other German lands and has its own charm. Thanks Michael for the virtual tour!

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 1:11 AM

Great page! I passsed SH often on the way to Scandinavia but did not often stay there - I see that I missed quite a lot. I ate great fish at an other place in Kiel ;-))

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Great page about your "back to the roots". Lovely buildings and I bet that's where you learned to love the cruise ships ;)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Wow, this was like coming home again: I have lived in Hamburg for 18 years and have worked in Rendsburg for 2 years - ahhhh, all these names and pics bring back happy memories!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 2:56 AM

Lovely overview of Schleswig Holstein Michael! Wow, that Schwebefaehre in Rendsburg is the strangest transportation I've ever seen! Fascinating. I would feel at home in Friedrichstadt, it does look very very Dutch!! :-)

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 12:28 AM

You been to Kollmar on the Elbe river?!! I don't believe it!!! Is ther a place you HAVENT been to at all?? :)) Win, whose familiy is living in nearby Uetersen

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Land Schleswig-Holstein

Have you been to Land Schleswig-Holstein?