"Cruising to Longyearbyen" Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen by globetrott

Longyearbyen Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 176 photos

Longyearbyen is the capital of Svalbard / Spitzbergen
Between 1978 and 1985 I came here 4 times a year to Svalbard, while I was working onboard of the luxury cruise-ship M/S Vistafjord

Somehow the Artic season was my favorite - and also the guests making cruises in such a "silet" area, where you may see " nothing" else than landscape...

...they were a lot different from the ones sailing in the Carribean...

Magdalena-bay is one of the reasons people make a cruise to Spitzbergen / Svalbard and Longyearbyen

• In a nutshell:Simply one of the most beautiful places I've been
  • Intro Written Nov 12, 2002

• May 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Das bist also Du auf dem Foto in der Magdalena-Bucht ? Schade daß die Kreuzfahrten nach Spitzbergen immer so teuer sind !

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Great tips. Really love to go there. After the Faroe Islands this will be the next far far north country (place) I love to visit. Thanks for the nice photos and tips!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 4:57 AM

Interesting page, Michael. Just tonight we went to a presentation by a cruise company offering trips there - had to look up more details on VT!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Wow, great scenery! Svalbard sounds like such a great place!

• Aug 14, 2005 at 7:02 AM

Cool page!

• Roeffie's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 11:45 AM

Mighty interesting!I get cold feet just thinking about the place!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 3:41 AM

Wonderful page, Michael! We are thinking about going there next year or in 2006!!!

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 10:17 AM

a very small postoffice, a shop and a pub/restaurant and I would propose an icy drink to chat in front of ;-)... hugs

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 3:29 PM

A long ways up there to that northernmost post office. Makes me a little thirsty. Where is that man with my tea;-\

• maykal's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2003 at 10:58 AM

Could do with some cold weather myself! You get to go to all the amazing places ;@P

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Longyearbyen

Have you been to Longyearbyen?