Germany Shopping Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Germany Shopping: 69 reviews and 91 photos
This is a funny shop for all fans of the "good old times of DDR/GRD" and the very best of it was certainly the so-called Ampelmännchen with the large hat that found a lot of friends also in Western germany and here you can buy some souvenirs about this and similar things of the DDR.
What to buy: I love that Ampelmännchen as well, it looks much better than ours !
And they have small-scale-models of the Trabbi as well !
a Fummel -buy it in Meissen / Saxony
Konditorei Zieger is an interesting traditional bakery in the centre of the old city of Meissen (north of Dresden) and their best-known product is the so-called "Fummel",dating back to the year 1710, a pastry that was never ment to be eaten...
In colloquial german a Fummel is a kind of dress for ladies that is expensive and rather thin, and might be ruined quickly...
Fummeln or herumfummeln in colloquial german is an activity, when touching something with your fingers....
What to buy: August der Starke had a post-rider, who was drinking quite a lot, and in order to be able to control him ,August asked the bakeries in Meissen to create a very thin pastry that might easily break, when it is not carried around very carefully...
You can still buy this pastry ONLY in Konditorei Zieger for about 2 Euros, it is big like a loaf of bread, but very light and really thin ( & it survived several days in my car)
It is a funny souvenir, BUT I would NOT recommend it for a great taste , it actually tastes like nothing !
What to pay: 2 Euros is the price for a Fummel
Address: D-01662 Meissen - Rote Stufen 5
Directions: Bäckerei Zieger is in the very centre of the old town of Meissen, about 15 km north of Dresden.
Lebkuchen - Herz at Oktoberfest
Nowadays it is not easy to find this type of a unique souvenir and gift to take home, except that you are lucky to be able to attend Oktoberfest or any other similar festivity in Bavaria or other parts of Germany :
Lebkuchen - Herz ( a heart made of Gingerbread) , it mostly has an inscription like on my photo and in most cases such a heart is a donation to the girl that is taken out to Oktoberfest by a young man.
What to buy: A Lebkuchenherz is quite expensive and it would be a pity to eat it. It will be mostly packed in plastic and might stay like this for several years !
What to pay: Be prepared to pay between 15 and 20 euros for such a piece of art !
Directions: I saw tham at Oktoberfest !
More Reviews (178)
- See All Wittumspalais
- See All Zermahlene Geschichte / Crushed History
- See All Thueringen-Card
- See All Umweltplakette: Important for ALL...
globetrott's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Discover Germany’s incredible diversity"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nuwara Eliya
- Kananaskis Lakes
- Cheraga Hotels
- Sasari Hotels
- Killeen Hotels
- Sarnia Hotels
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 1,270 Reviews
- 3,402 Photos
- 535 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6873 Reviews - 15326 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4308 Reviews - 9909 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1665 Reviews - 3682 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2162 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3988 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1452 Reviews - 3459 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 880 Reviews - 2990 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1186 Photos