Berner Alpen Restaurant Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Berner Alpen Restaurants: 8 reviews and 26 photos
Restaurant Bären in Unterseen
Hotel Baeren is one of the most beautiful and romantic restaurants in Unterseen and interlaken. The building dates back to 1674 - see some pics of the great interior on their webpage !
Hotel Baeren in Unterseen (the old part of Interlaken, north of the river Aare) has a great local restaurant with great swiss specialities. You will not meet plenty of tourists there, but plenty of local people who know, where to go !
Favorite Dish: Cheese fondue is mostly served for a minimum of 2 persons. Fondue is a melted mixture of different kinds of cheeses and it is served in a pot.Small cubes of bread are taken by long fondue-forks and dipped into the fondue.Tastes fine - but if you have a nervous stomach - better don't take too much.Also: drink a lot of tea or white wine and brandy with it.
Normally you get fondue only for a minimum of 2 persons, BUT in restaurant Baeren you may get it also for just 1 person - and have to pay just 3 sfr extra ! Preparing the fondue is quite a lot of work and needs a lot of attention by the cook and it is served in a pot that is kept warm by an open flame... all of this done for just 1 single portion certainly deserves such a small extra-amount. At other places single tourists would have to order and pay for 2 full portions !
Address: CH-3800 Unterseen - Seestrasse 2
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: You simply walk from Interlaken West-station across the river Aare to the north - at the 1st big crossing you cross the street - the restaurant is directely at the crossing, where the streets turns left to "Neuhaus"
Other Contact: %B%CB%S4Fax+41 (0) 33 822 75 28
Phone: +41 (0) 33 822 75 26
COOP Restaurant in Interlaken Ost
Just opposite of the train-station Interlaken Ost you may see a giant building of the COOP-supermarket and it has its own self-service-restaurant on 1st floor (USA:2nd floor).
While I had parked my motorhome not far from there, I had my breakfast there most of the days.
Something special in COOP and also in MIGROS-restaurants :
You may read the daily newspapers there for free and will not totally loose the contact to the catastrophies all over the world, while hiking and relaxing in Switzerland...
Favorite Dish: Take a look at my pictures - I had a "cafe creme", 2 "Brienzer Mütschli" - my favorite kind of rolls and 2 pieces of cheese and I payed just 7 sfr / 5 Euros.
They have quite a big choice of breads, rolls, croissants, cheeses etc. and of course you may get ham& eggs and similar dishes as well.
In october 2005 they also had a lottery with each bill in the restaurant and I won several "Berliner" , some sort of a small donut, that made a great desert after breakfast.
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: get out of the train-station Interlaken-Ost and walk across the road to get to COOP. There are plenty of parking-spaces as well.
Price: less than US$10
MIGROS is my favorite place to eat in Switzerland, when I am in a hurry or have to care for my budget (and mostly I have to!)
MIGROS with their self-service-restaurants all over Switzerland are always a good choice to eat a good meal for a reasonable price. The MIGROS in Interlaken is directely opposite of the station Interlaken-WEST.
These restaurants are also a good place to read the newspapers that they have on free display or to warm up on a cold or rainy day. Mostly you will not be chased away by the servants, when you just sit at a table without consuming anything and the tables are not urgently needed for ther guests.
Favorite Dish: I had a great lunch there and they have a hot buffet with all sorts of fried fishes, meat, chicken... and a warm buffet of french-fries, rices, vegetables etc. - at the end you have to pay 2,60 sfr for every 100 gramms.
For desert you may try "Rueblitorte" - a cake made of carrots !
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: The MIGROS supermarket and self-service-restaurant is opposite of the station Interlaken-West, you cannot miss it !
More Reviews (73)
- See All the oldest mountain-hotel
- See All Mystery World in Interlaken closed down...
- See All NO smoking in Brienz during Foehn !!
- See All The alpine Museum of Soerenbergbahn
globetrott's Related Pages
Berner Alpen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berner Alpen - The heart of Switzerland"
- "Berner Alpen - picture book Switzerland"
- "Bernese Oberland Mountains"
- "Lauchernalp - Lötschental"
- "Grandmother's Walk"
- "Bernese Oberland"
- "Please bear with me (nice play on words ;)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berner Alpen
- Hotels in Berner Alpen
- Transportation in Berner Alpen
- Restaurants in Berner Alpen
- Warnings and Dangers in Berner Alpen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berner Alpen
- 76 Reviews
- 401 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (503)
Have you been to Berner Alpen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berner Alpen
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Do you know the next number ?"
- updated a Berner Alpen Travel Page "Berner Alpen - The heart of Switzerland"
- Commented on one of globetrott's Berner Alpen tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Berner Alpen - The heart of Switzerland"
- Wrote a Review the oldest mountain-hotel in Berner Alpen Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 349 reviews, 985 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 161 reviews, 755 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 171 reviews, 741 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 160 reviews, 718 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 202 reviews, 565 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 101 reviews, 462 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 98 reviews, 444 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 151 reviews, 388 photos, 2 travelogues