"Stockalperpalast & the gate to Zermatt" Top 5 Page for this destination Brig by globetrott

Brig Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 266 photos

Stockalperpalast is the main attraction of Brig, in the south of Switzerland. This palace is the largest private building of Switzerland that is dating back to baroque times.

The Simplon-pass made a lot of people in Brig rich and weathly and in the innercourt of Stockalperpalace you can see 2 old postal-carriages that were used for the transportation over the Simplon-pass.

• Last visit to Brig: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2009

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

OK so which is best Michael, Spiez or Brig?

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I only passed through a couple of times, once right after the latest flood (looked horrible). I'll reserve some more time for Brig soon!

• abc37's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 5:44 AM

zum Matterhorn würde ich auch mal gerne im Sommer !

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Brig is a great gateway for many Swiss destinations protected by the impressive Stockalperpalast. You are right the castle cellar is a good place to taste fine local wine ;-)

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Stockalperpalast looks very great. Maybe I'll stop here next year on the way to Montblanc ..

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Switzerland is still my wish list. Don't know if I ever see Brig but I have to see Matterhorn for certain. Thank you Michael for reminding me about this my white spot on the map of Europe!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2009 at 5:47 AM

I'm glad to say I've never been in a "brig" (a military prison in American English), but sorry that I have never been to the town of that name. It looks great in your photos!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Stockalperpalast has very beautiful views. interesting idea of king x monument ;-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Michael, fabulous page about Brig, which we also once visted for a few hours during our trip to Sion and Zermatt. On a sunny day Brig is definitely well worth a visit. Have a lovely Sunday.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 11:42 AM

An excellent page with lots of interesting things to go with the great scenery! The castle is really impressive, but too bad about dare-devil Geo Chavez. I loved your lifting bridge tip and the cog railway reminded me of one I saw in Argentina's Andes.

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Brig