"Gruyeres / Greyerz: home of my favorite cheese" Top 5 Page for this destination Gruyères by globetrott

Gruyères Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 357 photos

Gruyeres is a carfree village between Bern and Geneva. The village still has its medieval townwalls, an interesting castle, a HR Giger-museum

Gruyeres / Greyerz - that is also one of the most famous brands of cheese in Switzerland made according to a recepee that is more than 1000 years old.

• In a nutshell:NOT cheesy at all !
  • Last visit to Gruyères: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2009

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Had of course heard of the cheese but didn't know the village was so pretty - now I need to go!

• DEY's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM

The best fondue in the world! I miss it!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 12:28 AM

When I lived there, went to Gruyère on Christmas Eve, what atmosphere! true about medieval feeling, it's like walking into Herman Hesse's Gesammelte Dichtungen! Last visit we drove in/out for cheese, now I want pics of those walls. :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Nice page with lovely photo's to match.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2010 at 2:14 AM

It had never occured to me to wonder where the cheese came from - I just enjoy eating it! So it's great to find out more. I love the genuine historical appearance of the village, castle etc. And the cheese plate sounds yummy :-)

• abc37's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 4:42 AM

schönes Schloss !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Micheal, great views of the Castle and the protective walls of Gruyères! It looks like you had beautiful weather for you explorations and, yes, Gruyères is one of my favourite cheeses too!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Excellent page with plenty of helpful and interesting tips! You reminded me that I haven't been to Switzerland yet and there are a lot of to see... Gruyeres is among them!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Another awesome page about your latest adventures in lovely Switzerland. Gruyères was already quite often on our list, but up to now we haven't made it there.

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 4:29 AM

I like this great cheese, of course but I had no idea how nice and interesting the place looks where it is made.

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Gruyères

Have you been to Gruyères?

Latest Activity in Gruyères