Interlaken Local Custom Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Interlaken Local Customs: 22 reviews and 42 photos
For all fans of Sherlok Holmes
25 km east of Interlaken - in Meiringen - there are lots of special activities for Sherlock-Holmes-Fans :
Every year there are several "pilgrimages" of Sherlock-Holmes-societies from places all over the world and they come to Meiringen in their costumes, visiting all the important places in that area.
See the pics, that I saw in a window at the station of Reichbachfall-funicular.
In Hotel du Sauvage you may attend a 4-course-menu and have to solve a murder-mystery togeather with other guests and some actors.
Learn more about Sherlock Holmes at :
The Sherlock-Holmes-Society in London
and you may click here in order to see another Sherlock Holmes museum in Switzerland, close to Geneve
The Sherlock-Holmes-Museum in Lucens
When visiting the interior of Schloss Oberhofen This is certainly the highlight : The Turkish smoking-saloon / Tuerkischer Rauchsalon was built in 1855 at the highest floor of the big tower in the centre of the castle. This saloon looks quite impressive with precious ornate woodcarvings at the walls and the ceiling, lovely furniture, sofas etc. Saloons like that were found in many palaces of kings and rich merchants of that time. I remember a similar room in Schloss Linderhof in Bavaria (a palace of mad King Ludwig II)
My main picture looks a lot lighter, when you enlarge it !
Haslital-museum in Meiringen
Haslital is the local name of the valley around Meiringen and inside a beautiful old wooden building next to the church you may see the Hasli- & Naturmuseum Meiringen with plenty of exhibits about the life in the valley and in the alps high above it. There are also 150 different birds shown in the museum - a good chance to see rare birds from a short distance !
July&August also Monday-Friday 07.00-09.00p.m.
FREE entrance, But donations are welcome & expected !!
Museum der Landschaft Hasli is just a few meters off the campanile and the church of Meiringen.
This is the perfect place for all fans of James Bond : Don't miss the James-Bond decorations at the souvenir-shop on top of Schilthorn. These graffities are a bit hidden behind the small self-service-bar in the back of the souvenir-shop. Great memories of the movie "In her majesty's service" are coming back, when seeing these graffities. In that movie Piz Gloria is something like a beauty-farm, where the most beautiful girls were educated and got a fragrence as a souvenir at the end of their stay. That fragrance included a poison that would bring danger to the world... but of course James solves all of these problems.
This souvenir-shop is at the same level as the helicopter-platform, you cannot miss it !
a nice well next to Ostbahnhof
All over Switzerland and especially in the mountains you will pass by plenty of such water-wells ! Just fill up your water-bottles, the water comes freshly out of the mountains and tastes really great. Of course you may buy bottled water also in the supermarkets and in machines at all of the stations, but the price is at least 2 sfr / 1,50 euros for half a liter and the taste is not really special compared to the fresh mountain-water you may get for free.
Don't worry all of these wells are ment for public use, and the water that is not taken by the hikers will flow back to the mountains !!
Visiting Jungfraujoch is a must, especiually, when the weather is fine ! One of the various attractions there are the special breed of Greenland-dogs , living on Jungfraujoch in the so-called "Polarhundekolonie" since more than 100 years already. At first they were needed in order to supply the workers and engeneers building the train-track, later-on they became a tourist-attraction and during summer you may go around the glacier in sleds torn by these Greenland-dogs.
The living-quaters of the dogs is close to Eigergletscher and it may be visited by tourists upon appointment - see the telephone-number below !
The dogs live there in small groups and may run around freely in a fenced area at the Eiger-glacier or return to their stables. They will also participate at various dog-sledge-racinges and TV-productions.
It is a pity that the season of the dog-sledges on Jungfraujoch was over already, when I had been there in end of October - maybe next year !!
Phone: +41 (0)33 / 828 78 34
Almabtrieb is a special event at the end of the summer-season in the alps :check the local newspapers at the end of september or october - some of these events will be posted there and will be big festivities with hundreds of cows, traditional folk-music etc., when the local farmers take down their cows from the alpine meadows, where they stayed during all of the summertime. The exacte time will depend on the hight of the meadows - the higher they are located, the sooner the cows will be taken down again ! I was lucky to see such a small Almabtrieb, when I had been in Meiringen at the end of October 2005. See my photographs : the first in the procession was a police-car, that directed all cars to stop as far as possible at the side of the street, leaving the main-space for the cows and the farmers family, who directed the cows towards their home-stables. All of the cows were decorated with giant bells and other decorations.
At many places in the area around Interlaken you will see several such shelter-huts, where you may run to, in case that an avalanche is approaching. Mostly these huts are in the mountains, along the most popular hiking-paths or sometimes next to the bus-stations and they are a good place to stay in case of a short heavy rain, while you are hiking or cycling and are looking for a dry place to take a rest.
As you may see in my pictures, these places are not very clean - because sheep and cows gothere also sometimes...
More Reviews (64)
- See All A good equippment is essential in the...
- See All Paragliding in Grindelwald
- See All a great hotel closeby Interlaken
globetrott's Related Pages
Interlaken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Interlaken - my home for more than 3 years"
- "Why to go to Interlaken"
- "Interlaken from Ost to West..."
- "A great base camp for the Top of Europe"
- "Holiday & Congress Center of the Bernese Oberland"
- "Interlaken - Lakes, Rivers, Mountains, Trains."
- "Interlaken and Surrounding Area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Interlaken
- Hotels in Interlaken
- Transportation in Interlaken
- Nightlife in Interlaken
- Restaurants in Interlaken
- Shopping in Interlaken
- Warnings and Dangers in Interlaken
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port of Miami Hotels
- Hawkes Bay Hotels
- Lake Taal
- Hammam-Lif Hotels
- Protaras Hotels
- Serra de Montejunto
Badges & Stats in Interlaken
- 72 Reviews
- 306 Photos
- 119 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Interlaken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Interlaken
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Commented on one of jnyvegas's Interlaken travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Regionalpass Berner Oberland is the best deal !"
- updated a Interlaken Travel Page "Interlaken - my home for more than 3 years"
- Wrote a Review A good equippment is essential in the mountains in Interlaken Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Latest Interlaken hotel reviews
- Wellness & Spa Hotel Beatus Interlaken
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel Park Mattenhof
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Metropole Hotel Interlaken
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Bahnhof
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 1, 2012
- Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa Interlaken
- 217 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Blume Interlaken
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Rugenpark Hotel / B&B Interlaken
- 423 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Du Lac Interlaken
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Balmer's Herberge
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Sunny Days Bed & Breakfast.
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Beausite Hotel Interlaken
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Bellevue Hotel Interlaken
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Hotel Derby Interlaken
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Hotel Harder Minerva
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2012
- Hotel Weisses Kreuz
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Jungfrau- 17 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Trummelbach Falls- 8 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Walking- 8 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Thun- 6 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Schilthorn- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Ice Palace- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Oberhofen Castle- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Hiking- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Harder Kulm- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Hang Gliding- 6 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Interlaken Things to Do