Lucerne Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Lucerne Transportation: 52 reviews and 93 photos
Vierwaldstaetter See / Lake Lucerne is a perfect place to go cruising and you may even find some old steam-ships going around the lake on a regular basis.
I took an evening-tour by ship from Luzern to Vitznau and Kuessnacht, unfortunately it became quite dark soon after departure, but it was still a great tour with the town beautifully lighted and the silhouettes of the surrounding mountains in the moonlight.
For holders of the Tell-Pass the ships on the lakes of Lucerne are totally free of charge for 2 or 5 days and for the rest of days you pay just 50% .
There are also day-tickets available just for the ships !
City Train Luzern might be a nice way to see the most interesting sights of Luzern / Lucerne, when you do not have a lot of time and dont want to miss anything important. The tours always start at the Hotel Schweizerhof, a luxury-hotel close to Schwanenplatz. The tour takes 40 minutes and the informations are given over head-phones, where you may choose between 8 different languages : german, english, french, italian, spanish, russian, chinese and japanese
The train is operated daily in april at 02.00+03.00p.m.
In may each full hour 11.00a.m.-04.00p.m.
June – August 11.00a.m. - 07.00p.m.
September : 11.00 - 05.00p.m.
October : 02.00 + 03.00 + 04.00p.m.
From November till march only at sundays :
at 2.00 + 3.00 + 4.00p.m.
Other Contact: Fax041 220 11 20
Phone: 041 220 11 00
Parking inside the city of Luzern parking of a car is quite tricky, rather expensive and connected with a lot of trouble. The largest carpark of Luzern / Lucerne is certainly next to Verkehrshaus. There are several sections, the closer to the Verkehrhaus you park your car, the more expensive is the parking-fee.
In the parking-spaces close to the museum, motorhomes are not allowed to stay over night, a few hundred meters more to walk and the signs are not mentioning motorhomes anymore.
This is where I took my parking for 3 days and nights, paying a daily fee of 5 sfr during the day, the parking at night is totally free of charge. One morning I saw a police-car controlling my parking-area, BUT they did not care at all about my motorhome.
The bus-system in Luzern / Lucerne is well organized and when you take the seat in the first row, next to the driver, you will even find a local newspaper at your disposal, while you use the bus (see my 3rd picture).
I used the large car-park next to Verkehrshaus Luzern. The buses from there were leaving for the city every 10 minutes, the ride to Schwanenplatz was around 15 minutes.
a model of Pilatus-bahn in Verkehrshaus Luzern
When you stay in Luzern / Lucerne for more than 3 days and intend to go to Pilatus, Rigi, Buergenstock & to take the ships and trains around the lake Lucerne Tell-Pass is the perfect ticket for that area! The ticket is available for 7 or for 15 consucutive days and it includes 2 or 5 days of totally FREE rides and the rest of the days you pay just 50% of the ordinary prices.
Totally included in this ticket are: Rigi Kulm + Buergenstock + Pilatus + the ships on Lake of Lucerne and most trains around of it, the trains to Engelberg & Truebsee, to Meiringen-Brienz-Interlaken etc.etc.etc.
Take a look at the detailed map at their web-page below !
For the Tell-Pass you pay just 140 sfr / 95euros ( for 7 days) or 188 sfr / 122euros(for 15 days) and everyday in the morning you may decide for yourself, if you choose that day as one of the 2 / 5 days with the free rides. Holders of a Halbtax-abo get an additional reduction of 28sfr / 38 sfr.
The funicular to Chateau Gutsch is the only part of the former luxury hotel that is still operated. Enter the wagon at the station in the city or at the chateau, throw in some coins - it was a rather small amount - and then you might have to wait a few minutes. In my case the funicular started to go upwards 5 minutes after I have entered the wagon. We had been a total of 4 passengers and not a single person at the oncoming wagon.
Like most of the funiculars both wagons are fixed at each other by a thick rope and both wagons will move simultaneously - one going up, the other coming down.
More Reviews (34)
globetrott's Related Pages
Lucerne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "one of the most scenic cities in Switzerland"
- "Lucerne - my favourite city of Switzerland"
- "Lucerne and surroundings"
- "Looking Lovely Lucerne"
- "Lucerne - Luzern"
- "LUCERNE. A Beautiful Medieval Town!"
- "EVERYBODY GOES TO LUCERNE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lucerne
- Hotels in Lucerne
- Transportation in Lucerne
- Nightlife in Lucerne
- Restaurants in Lucerne
- Shopping in Lucerne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lucerne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucerne
- 39 Reviews
- 184 Photos
- 34 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (293)
Have you been to Lucerne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucerne
- Posted in Travel Saint Petersburg Forum "Re: From St. Petersburg city..."
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Lucerne travel pages
- Wrote a Review just a reminder for my next trip in Lucerne Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "cruising Lake Lucerne / Vierwaldstaetter See"
- updated a Lucerne Travel Page "one of the most scenic cities in Switzerland"
Photos in LucerneSee All Photos (184)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1067 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (347)
- Mount Pilatus- 36 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Kapellbrücke - Chapel Bridge- 80 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Löwendenkmal - Lion Monument- 43 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Old Town- 55 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Vierwaldstätter See - Lake Lucerne- 31 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Museggmauer - Musegg Wall- 18 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Jesuitenkirche - Jesuit Church- 26 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Hofkirche - Abbey Court Church- 21 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Spreuer Brücke - Spreuer Bridge- 21 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Mount Rigi- 7 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Lucerne Things to Do