"DEVIL ISLAND - TEUFELSINSEL - ILES DU SALUT" Top 5 Page for this destination French Guiana by globetrott

French Guiana Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 293 photos

Devils Island was a French prison until 1948. Captain Dreyfuss was kept here as well as "Papillon", who wrote a book about it.

I guess, the prisoners would not have thought, that one day Cruise-ships like M/S VISTAFJORD would come here to see the ruins of their cells, walk freely on the island and return easly by tender back to the ship ...

All photos on this page are scanned pics of my super-8-movie made between 1979 and 1985.
The single pics are just 8mm wide and 5mm high
I had to scan them with 2400dpi...
So this is why the quality of the pics is not really perfect...

• Pros:a magic place of history
  • Cons:its quite hot there !
  • In a nutshell:a magic place of history
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Great idea to scan some of the frames from your old Super-8 films! I’m sure you’re right that this was not a paradise for the prisoners in the old days.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I'll bet Papillon's sundowners didn't include cool cocktails ;~)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 2:45 AM

Michael, you've been lucky to visit so many places! Thanx for sharing your experiences with us here!

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Interesting running into these old tips on Devil's Island. Loads of tips on the place, but nothing in the "things to do" category:-) Figures for a prison island I suppose...

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 2:55 PM

You've certainly been to strange places :). Thanks for visiting my Russia page!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 2:29 AM

Hey Michael. I think I would opt for the ship accommodation too :o) Cheers, Ann.

• Antji's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2004 at 4:31 AM

interesting history of teufelsinsel. never heard it before - unfortunately I didn´t read this book before... but I should do it.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 8:53 AM

Michael, you got to see some very interesting places in the course of your cruises! Thanks for the insight into this curious and off-the-beaten-path destination!

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2004 at 2:48 AM

Normally I always go to Africa, but I think I’ve got to reconsider my next destination when I see your VTpage. Nice job

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2004 at 9:16 AM

Wieso heißt die Insel denn "Iles du Salut" im Französischen und "Teufelsinsel" im Deutschen und Englischen?

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in French Guiana

Have you been to French Guiana?