Antarctica Packing List Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Antarctica What to Pack: 45 reviews and 39 photos
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Dont forget to bring gloves to Antarctica !!! My best ones were really cheap gloves, ment for sports like Nordic Walking, they were thin and they were getting dry rather fast, I could wear them also while making my photos and even in heavy rain- or snowfall they kept my fingers warm, although they had been totally wet.
Also for the rides in the Zodiak gloves are essential, because the speed and the wind will otherwise make you feel terrible without any protection for your fingers.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Riding a Zodiak is a lot of fun in sunny weather. In Antarctica there will be rough seas and in each ride you might get totally wet, when you dont have a really good weather-gear ! Forget about Goretex and similar things that might be recommended in your shop at home, these people have no idea about getting wet in the Antarctic and what it feels like to walk in such clothings, while a really icy antarctical wind is blowing...
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Wellies are the best solution for using the Zodiak. The beaches will never be totally flat and in 95% of all landing-places you will not find a pier, but you rather have to step into the water and that is best when wearing wellies, AND make sure they are as high as possible, mine were around 50 cm high, that was sufficient.
Unfortunately Wellies will have an important disadvantage : you will feel cold all the time, even with 3 pairs of socks.
Some of the most expensive ships will provide all passengers with complimentary wellies,but on the Bark Europa we had to bring our own.
Renting the Wellies in Ushuaia is possible for 40 ARG.$ (=10 euros for 22 days), while bying them in another shop is just a bit more expensive like 60 ARG.$ (=15 euros) that I had to pay for mine - see my shopping-tips.
More Reviews (102)
- See All Adelie penguins
- See All public rooms
- See All The Polar Star
- See All My Logbook : 10 DECEMBER 2008
- See All Working in the rigg
globetrott's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kotamobagu Hotels
- Regensburg Hotels
- Lake of the Ozarks State Park Hotels
- Siena Hotels
- Eureka Springs
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 105 Reviews
- 366 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues