Iona Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Iona Transportation: 5 reviews and 6 photos
cruising Iona, Staffa and Lunga
I took a halfday-cruise from Fionnphort to Iona, Staffa and Lunga and may hioghly recommend it to everyone !
As soon as you arrive in Fionnport, check out carefully the time-tables of the various different ships taking you to Iona, Staffa and / or Lunga, they differ a lot when it comes to the time that you may spend on the islands of Staffa and / or Lunga / Tresnish-islands.
On my picture you may see the boat that took us to Staffa and Lunga. We had to step up 20 minutes to the cliffs in order to get to the nests of the cute puffins: They build holes under the grass , where they have their nests, so you should really take one of the cruises, that leaves you at least 2 hours on the island of Lunga.
For Staffa 1 hour might be enough , because Fingals cave is where you will dock, and there is not a lot to see on the island itself, except the basalt-rocks at the small stoney beach !
For the timetable of the ships - take a look on my link below !
When visiting Iona you have to leave your car in Fionnphort at a large car-parking directely at the port. A small ferry takes you that short distance between Fionnphort in the Island of Mull and the island of Iona and it runs almost all day to and fro on a regular basis.
That ferry may take a few cars with it, BUT only the local people are allowed to do so, for all the other passengers it is not allowed to take any cars with them (it would also not make sense, because of the short distances on the island)
Hiking and cycling makes sense on the island of Iona !
More Reviews (7)
globetrott's Related Pages
Iona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the cradle of Scotland's christianity"
- "CHRISTIANITY COMES TO NORTHERN BRITAIN"
- "Spiritual and Peaceful"
- "Isle of Iona"
- "The Isle of Iona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iona
- Hotels in Iona
- Transportation in Iona
- Restaurants in Iona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Revelstoke Hotels
- Pubnico Hotels
- Marshall Islands
- Picardie Hotels
- Kings Valley Hotels
- Velika Drenova
Badges & Stats in Iona
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Iona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iona
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Commented on one of amsor's Iona travel pages
- updated a Iona Travel Page "the cradle of Scotland's christianity"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lunga / Treshnish Islands - a few km north of Iona"
- Wrote a Review Lunga / Treshnish Islands - a few km north of Iona in Iona Off The Beaten Path
Photos in IonaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues