"When St.Petersburg was still Leningrad" Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg by globetrott

Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Travel Guide: 3,909 reviews and 8,687 photos

I have been several times in Leningrad when I was working onboard of M/S Vistafjord.

In these days everything was a bit different from today. Communism was the only way of life, and western tourists were rarely to be seen. Our Passengers could go ashore only for the guided tours, had to stay with the groups and no chance to go on there own. - Only very few passengers had a visa.

But crewmembers were allowed to go everywhere !

Leningrad was a really interesting place for me. In school we had to learn Russian, and here I had the chance to practice a bit.

• Last visit to Gorod Sankt-Peterburg: Dec 1984
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2003

• hopang's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Excellent Saint Petersburg page with superb photographs! Petrodworez, fountains and golden sculptures are certainly lovely attractions! Thanks for sharing. We hope to visit the city one day! ~ho & pang

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM

@mindtpi: maybe you simply read my pages before you give such rubbish comments. I was talking about a guide in communiste times, who said its nothing to see there, because they never liked to show churches to western tourists !!

• Dec 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM

what a load or rubbish - all museums are closed one day a week which is clearly shown on the board outside. It's a major attraction in St Petersburg, it's in _every_ guide book and heaps of the sourvenirs. I'd suggest you find a better guide next time.

• gubbi1's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Hi, nice page! Had an exchange with school to S.P. During their visit the town was renamed. So they came from Leningrad and went back to Sankt Peterburg. Take care, Christian.

• artdeco's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I vistied St. Peter for the first time in 2002 and fell in love with the city...They did a good job restoring the architecture ...3 days were not enough to see it all...Great journal! Mary

• Natalya2006's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2006 at 6:44 AM

It's very interesting for me to surf pages of my city made VTer from other countries. BTW, the Cathedral on Spilled Blood is opened now (closed on Wednesdays) and it's not so dark in the toilets now :-)

• condorito's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Yes, You are Number One.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 4:19 AM

An interesting look at Leningrad, as it was when you visited. Time and change certainly adds an extra dimension!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 1:19 PM

Interesting page about Leningrad. It brings back many memories of my time in St. Petersburg this summer. Nowadays the city looks much more colourful... :o)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 7:59 AM

Recently back from a cruise & spent 2 days in SPb. Enjoyed your recollections of the city in the days of the USSR. I think some of the old mentality may still exist today--Big Brother is still watching!

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Gorod Sankt-Peterburg

Have you been to Gorod Sankt-Peterburg?

Latest Activity in Gorod Sankt-Peterburg