Honningsvåg Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Honningsvåg Transportation: 6 reviews and 9 photos
Drive all the way to Northcape in my motorhome that was my intention in August 2009 but my motorhome had a problem with the engine in Trondheim, so I had to give that up.
My conclusions after driving ca. 6000km through Norway:
You need a lot of time and patience in order to really enjoy the norwegian landacape that way. The roads are quite narrow and not always in perfect condition, your average speed will be between 60 and 80km/h, petrol&Diesel are more expensive than in the rest of Europe, restaurants with a good service are quite pricey and they are hard to find and self-service restaurants will have mostly just sausages and french fries, that gets quite boring already after a few days.
You will find lots of parking-spaces along the way, many of them with grilling-facilities, free of charge, that was great, but "wild" overnight-camping at these place in your motorhome is mostly forbidden.
Then they have this stupid automatic toll-system for cars : your licenceplate will be scanned while passing by and as a tourist you have 3 possibilities to pay:
1)register online in an internetcafe with your creditcard and licenceplate-number
Thats a dangerous way in my opinion and lots of people keep saying: Never give your CC-details in an internetcafe ! - so I gave up this idea !
2)pay at some gas-station in the area, it will be Shell in the area around Oslo and BP maybe around Tronheim etc. , BUT when paying there YOU have to know the amount you owe them, then you pay in that money, thats all. So have your calculator handy and calculate each time that you pass one of the many toll-plazas, some with an amount of 20 NOK , some with 65 NOK etc.
3)an invoice will be sent to your homeadress and that might take between 2 weeks and 6 months and maybe they will send the invoice not at all, like in my case.
BUT of course you never know, maybe they send around an invoice for my use of toll-roads to a wrong adress and there might be high extra-fees for me some day. It leaves a very bad feeling for me, and that is why I call this system STUPID !
WHY cant you have a system of a prepaid sticker according to a tourist's drivingtime through Norway, afterall the amount I owe them is not much more than maybe 25 euros on the total.
August & September are too late for many museums
and its also getting dark quite early already !
Type: Car/Motor Home
Take a Hurtigruten-ship from Bergen or from Kirkenes and in both tours, northbound and southbound you will get to Honnigsvag. Hurtigruten is the name of the famous post-ships cruising every day of the year along the norwegian coast on a fixed schedule between Bergen and Kirkenes.
The Hurtigruten are NOT a real cruise and in most ports you will stay for just about 30-60 minutes in the port, but here in Honnigsvag Hurtigruten-ships stay in port for a longer time, see the details below! The ship will open the gangway for passengers to go ashore and they will also start to unload and load all sorts of goods, cars, different articles from small boxes to giant machineries. In case that you like to see more of the places closeby, you have to book one of their excursions and join the ship again at the next port.
Cars can be taken onboard of a Hurtigruten-ship, when they are not higher than 2,5 meters and not wider than 2,45 meters.
Northbound the Hurtigruten-ship is docked in Honnigsvag:
for 3,5 hours from 11.45am till 03.15pm
and Southbound the ship only stops for a few minutes at 06.15am
in order to let the passengers leave for the excursion
"Breakfast at the Northcape" - they will board again in Hammerfest
More Reviews (7)
globetrott's Related Pages
Honningsvåg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gate to the Northcape / Nordkapp"
- "Queen Mary2 brought us here"
- "A touch to the North"
- "Nordkap - The most northen place in Europe"
- "Honningsvåg: Gateway to the North Cape"
- "Welcome to HONNINGSVAG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honningsvåg
- Hotels in Honningsvåg
- Transportation in Honningsvåg
- Nightlife in Honningsvåg
- Restaurants in Honningsvåg
- Shopping in Honningsvåg
- Warnings and Dangers in Honningsvåg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pittem Hotels
- Kato Paphos Castle Hotels
- Ponta Negra
- Saint Martinville Hotels
- Lake Taupo
- Puerto de Gaira Hotels
- Bolu Ili
Badges & Stats in Honningsvåg
- 9 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Honningsvåg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honningsvåg
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nordic Lights / Aurora Borealis in Honnigsvag"
- updated a Honningsvåg Travel Page "The Gate to the Northcape / Nordkapp"
- Wrote a Review Drive all the way to Northcape in your car in Honningsvåg Transportation
- Commented on one of lotharlerch's Honningsvåg travel pages
Photos in HonningsvågSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues