Kongsberg Things to Do Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Kongsberg Things to Do: 44 reviews and 114 photos
When you are in Kongsberg, dont miss to drive just about 20km more in order to get to Heddal Stavkirke & folk museum.
Heddal Stavkyrkje is one of the largest stave churches in Norway and it dates back to about 1196. Untill 1537 it had been a catholic church and afterwards Lutheran.
The church looks very impressive from outside and has a lot of great woodcarvings and colorfully painted walls inside and a chair dating back to 1200 AD.
There is a large carpark next to the church and a small museum in the basement of an old farmhouse and about 200 meters from the church there is another museum-village of old wooden houses.
20th May – 19th June 10am -5pm
20th June – 20th Aug. 9am -7pm
21st Aug. – 10th Sept. 10am -5pm
entrancefee is NOK 60,-
Dont miss to take a closer look at the church of Kongsberg, and even when it does not really look very special from outside, just wait and see and you will really be surprised to see its very special interior !
You have to pay a small entrancefee, but it is really worth it !
In summer there will be organ-concerts as well !
The church is open for visitors:
May 18th till August 15th:
Mon-Fri: 10.00am - 04.00pm
Sat & Sun : 10.00-02.00pm
June1st till August 12th:
concerts every Wednesday at 07.30pm
Everybody should be equal at least in the church and before god, but here in the church of the miners in Kongsberg the highest members of the miners-management had their own private niches, situated directely opposite of the main altar and the organ. Some of them even had something like a throne-chair, like shown in my last photo here.
There are around 1000 seats inside that church for the miners and they were organized and sorted there according to their ranks into different balconies and floors.That was quite interesting to see and I also had to follow a labyrinth of stairs in order to get everywhere. When a church is filled with 1000 people all at the same time it also needs some logistics to get them in and out without problems and "trafic-jams"
The Gloger organ is certainly one of the most interesting sights in Kongsberg Church. The Gloger organ was constructed by Gottfried Heinrich Gloger (1730-1779) between 1760 and 1765, he used to be a wellknown organist and organ builder in Norway. The organ has 3 manual and pedal instrument with 42 stops. In 1994 it burned down but it was restored again.
It was interesting for me to see that the main altar is right under the organ in this church, I never every saw something similar so far in a church !
Quite a strong river runs through it, this was my first impression that I got from Kongsberg, when I was driving through it on my way through the southern part of Norway. And I was lucky to have the idea to make a short stop-over to do some shopping, when I passed by a large carparking next to a supermarket.
Then I also saw some signposts about the church and I am really glad I did not miss this interesting church !
Amtshuset is another great wooden building that you will see in the old towncentre of Kongsberg. The building was constructed by the architect Georg Andreas Bull (1829-1917)
Directions: This building is opposite of the church, soyou cannot miss it !
Skogskolegarden / The school of forestry estate is another sight in Kongsberg, as it was established in a house that was built around 1820 in Empire style as a private residence. The wooden building looks interesting from outside and you will pass by it, when walking to the church.
More Reviews (2)
globetrott's Related Pages
Kongsberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kongsberg, silver mines and ski jumpers."
- "a famous Organ & more !"
- "Mr. Harket Home Town-"Train of thoughts""
- "Kongsberg-"King's Mountain""
- "BBBBRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!"
- "Mining Under the King's Mountain"
- "My cabin at Blefjell"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kongsberg
- Hotels in Kongsberg
- Transportation in Kongsberg
- Nightlife in Kongsberg
- Restaurants in Kongsberg
- Shopping in Kongsberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kongsberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kongsberg
- 10 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (495)
Have you been to Kongsberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kongsberg
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: New map - sorry, don't like it"
- created a Kongsberg Travel Page "a famous Organ & more !"
- Uploaded a Photo to "a famous Organ & more !"
- Wrote a Review Kongsberg: a great church and the Gloger organ in Kongsberg Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of adema29's Kongsberg travel pages
Photos in KongsbergSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 349 reviews, 985 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 161 reviews, 755 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 171 reviews, 741 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 160 reviews, 718 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 202 reviews, 565 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 101 reviews, 462 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 98 reviews, 444 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 151 reviews, 388 photos, 2 travelogues