"3 days in Trondheim" Top 5 Page for this destination Trondheim by globetrott

Trondheim Travel Guide: 355 reviews and 1,036 photos

I spent 3 great days in Trondheim and can say it is really one of the most beautiful cities of Norway !

..................................................

I had car-problems in Trondheim and had to phone to Austria in order to inform my insurance about it !
A public telephone-office does not exist there anymore, not even at the postoffice and the phone-boxes in the streets are no good, when you have to write down things on a paper out in the rain with all the noises in the streets...
In Austria and the rest of Europe you can simply go to a big hotel and make these telephone-calls and pay for them afterwards at the reception.
I tried this in 3 hotels:
The first was quite small and could not do it,
the 2nd that I tried was the large THON-Hotel in the centre and the lady there at the reception said first, that is OK, but the other lady next to her insisted that I could make telephonecalls from any room BUT when I am not living there, I also cannot make a phonecall from the reception
Same situation in the CHESTERFIELD-hotel that is in the same house-block :
There was only a young lady at the reception and she said "Not possible, when you dont stay in this hotel"
---
Not everybody in Trondheim is unflexible, because I finally found a nice person working in a NARVESEN-shop, he gave me his private cellphone and even did not take any money for that great service.
I spent a long time there talking with him while I was waiting for several calls that came from my insurance in Vienna, from my travelagency etc. who had to book my flights back to Austria and to change my booking for the Hurtigrute-ship, that will start sailing from Bergen on Sunday 13th to Kirkenes and back to Bergen.

• Last visit to Trondheim: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2011

• abc37's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 7:22 AM

kaum zu glauben, daß man in diesen Hotels nicht telefonieren kann !

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Have long wanted to visit Trondheim - should have done it when MrL was working there in the 70s - this GTtour will have to do for now. Lots of interesting detail here, plus practical advice. Excellent! leyle

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM

What an experience you had! Not for weakys :) hats off for your patience and that friendly person from the shop. The sights are great though. Great captures! I like most the draw bridge, the island and the cathedral photos!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM

So this is the town with the famous bicycle lift! I'll have to go there sometime and try it. Also I love musical instrument museums, and the one in the Ringve manor-house sounds really good.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 6:43 AM

You always have great experience, Michael! Thanks for sharing it here! ><><><><

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 6:06 AM

I haven't visited Trondheim since I was five years old. I remember we sat by River Nida and ate fresh shrimps and that it was very nice. Sorry to hear you had problems in Trondheim.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Very useful Transportation tips, Michael & that toll system sounds really weird! Too bad about your telephone call problems but at least the Rustkammeret military museum, unique bicycle lift & the WWII submarine bunkers made up for it!

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Disconcerting story... Now you know what to order for the next Christmas... a mobile phone ;-) Hope that you are safe back to Austria.

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Recalls a lot of nice memories. I was in Trondheim some decades ago and I see that some things have changed considerably.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 12:45 AM

It was interseting to read about Olav Tryggvason who lived and was in service to Vladimir in Novgorod. Pity that yoi had a car problem in Trondheim. Quite agree with you about stupid toll-system there.

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Trondheim

Have you been to Trondheim?