"Arhus - a place of our family-history" Top 5 Page for this destination Århus by globetrott

Århus Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 722 photos

Arhus has a special meaning to our family, because it was there, where my grandfather from Vienna emmigrated after WW I. He found work as a lithographer ( a profession that does not exist anymore : he was producing the prints for pictures in the newspapers by etching steel-plates). He finally married a Danish girl and had 3 children, but my grandmother died shortly after my mother was born. 45 years later my mother started to search for her relatives...

Camping-Family-life in Arhus back in 1964. The first and biggest travel of my childhood and maybe the reason, why I enjoy travelling so much.

• Intro Updated Feb 23, 2006

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2007 at 1:49 PM

love this town Arhus is a great place and you have done a nice page found it very helpful thanks

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 3:47 AM

A very touching page about a town which became the first in your travels, Michael! Your first travel is very similar to my first trip to Yalta (Crimea) with my parents in 1967... Thanks for wonderful tips and pics!

• Caniko's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 11:35 PM

I liked your Arhus pages. It is very helpful.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the excellent info and personal insights! Mark

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 11:17 AM

Looks wonderful! I like the accomodation tips as well - very helpful and well written! Thanks for a great page!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 5:43 AM

Great page! Arrived at Arhus by ship, but only passed through on the way to Silkeborg Museum and Vrads Bryup for a vintage train ride then Himmelberjet (sp?) Beautiful area!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 4:12 PM

It's always nice to visit a place where you used to live, or in this case, a place where your family came from. Looks like a nice historic area. Do you wish your family had stayed in Denmanrk?

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 5:28 AM

Great page about Århus Michael! It reminds me to go here some day! The Gamle By and the surrounding area of Århus sounds like it is certainly worth the trip going here! Hopefully some day I will :-)

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Michael, I so enjoyed your trip down memory lane. I too can recall wonderful times camping but yours has an historic purpose. Of course Australians may very well be feeling more connections to Denmark now-a-days. Thank you.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 2:40 AM

Michael, great to see these old scenes from your childhood!! My parents used to take we 4 children camping too! That GET IN hostel really is something different, a far cry from the elegance of the Royal Yacht!

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Århus