Portofino Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Portofino Transportation: 12 reviews and 17 photos
sailing to Portofino
To go to Portofino by your own sailingboat sounds like a great idea, but the space to anchor is certainly limited - especially at the high season .
And you also should know that in various bays around Portofino anchoring is totally forbidden by law !
So you better check the regulations first !
Portofino - town-map
This is a small map for a better orientation.
You see the houses and the famous Portofino-bay on the left, and the yacht-port on the right on the map ( just under the Castle )
In the Yacht-port you will find a public toilet ( 0,50 € ) and even a public shower.
Portofino - the street to San Giorgio
Great paths are leading to all important places of interest, like this road to the church of San Giorgio.
The roads in Portofino are mostly paved with cobbled stones and two tracks for the small transportation-vehicles.
Portofino bay and Castle Brown
Plenty of small boats can be seen in the bay and on the small beach of Portofino-bay.
I did not see any sign-posts about this , as it was out of season end of march 2003, but in summer I am sure plenty of tours will be offered to quiet bays with these small boats.
On the pic in the background : Castle Brown
Portofino - small streets, almost free of cars
In the centre of town and on the famous beach-promenade all sorts of cars are forbidden, except some of these local transport-vehicles for workers or hotels, that you will see in my photo here.
On the total Portofino is that way a paradise for pedestrians and families with children.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Portofino - better leave your car OUTSIDE !!
THIS seems to be the parking for the local people - it is back in a small valley leading to the main square.
I just took this pic, but did not check the signs...
According to my guide-books there is the MOST EXPENSIVE parking-house in Italy at the end of the public road to Portofino.
The trafic may be stuck at certain times in high season on the small roads leading to Portofino and you even have electronic infos on the road, telling you the approximate waitingtime before you may reach Portofino...
But I guess, you better take the ship !!!
Type: Car/Motor Home
Portofino - take the ship from S.Margherita Ligure
To go to Portofino it is the best to take the ship, leaving on a regular timetable from San.Margherita Ligure, Rapallo or Camogli and that is the way that I got there in 2003.
The ship from S.Margherita was 6,- €uro and it took about 20minutes to arrive in Portofino.
The first ships in March left S.Margherita L. at 10:30 a.m. - the last ship back was leaving Portofino at 04.00 p.m.
Walk up to the castle to get a special view over the bay of Portofino !
More Reviews (30)
globetrott's Related Pages
Portofino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portofino - a scenic place in Liguria !!"
- "Portofino - Jewel of the Italian Riviera"
- "A gem tucks in Ligurian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portofino
- Hotels in Portofino
- Transportation in Portofino
- Restaurants in Portofino
- Shopping in Portofino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portofino
- 38 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (333)
Have you been to Portofino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portofino
Photos in PortofinoSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 348 reviews, 980 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 181 reviews, 783 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 166 reviews, 742 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 202 reviews, 565 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 120 reviews, 561 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 98 reviews, 444 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 151 reviews, 388 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 100 reviews, 424 photos