Verona Off The Beaten Path Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Verona Off The Beaten Path: 143 reviews and 257 photos
Riva di Garda is the town on the very north-end of Lago di Garda / Gardasee and there you will see this great castle Arco built on a perfect place high above the valley, and almost un-accessible and protected by steep rocks. From Riva di Garda on the trafic was quite high and stop-and-go for more than 1 hour, maybe also for the fact that it was sunday of a long weekend including a holiday on Thursday in Austria and Germany.
In Italy this was not a holiday, but these cars were mostly shorttime-tourists from Germany.
Trafic-jams are also a great chance for better pics than from a driving car...
The cathedral of Valeggio sul Mincio looks almost a bit strange from outside, as it does not even have a campanile / belfry. Almost no decorations at all and a facade consisting just of red bricks.
From inside it looks a lot better and you may eneter it freely and without restrictions during the day. Take a look at my next picture, the church is also a great and cool place to relax on a hot summerday !
The interior of the cathedral in Valeggio sul Mincio looks a lot better than the outside of the church. You will not find any famous works of art inside that church, but on the total I think it is a nice combination of paintings, decorations and solid columns and also a great and perfectly cool place to relax on a hot summerday.
When you click on my picture, you will see that the large organ is on the left side of the church, next to the pulpit.
This is Visconti-bridge seen from the castle of Vallegio del Mincio and you can as well see that the medieval town was once surrounded by 2 seperate walls and of course there were these walls also on top of the bridge.The Visconti-bridge is more than 600 years old. In 1993 it had it's 600th birthday and there was a big celebration with thousands of small tables in a row along that street, and all the guests had a meal there togeather. In Hotel Eden they had a brochure with a picture of this event, taken in the evening, all tables with candles - a really romantic event.
Gardaland is some sort of a theme-park with rollercoasters and other attractions like in Disneyland. We passed by it on our way to Valeggio sul Mincio and it seemed to be quite large and also quite popular with plenty of cars and buses at the carpark.
Gardaland is maybe not my personal favorite activity in the area around Verona, but in case that you are travelling with children, it might be a good idea to go there as well !
Other Contact: fax: +390456401267
the castello in Vallegio del Mincio
Valeggio sul Mincio is a small town in the west of Verona, where we had our big VT-Meeting in May 2005.
There is an interesting castle, some remains of the medieval townwall and the river Mincio of course. I wish I had more time to explore this lovely place, especially as they have also a famous park , but we finally did not have enough time to get inside and decided to take the coast-road along the Lago di garda instead.
Monte Baldo seen from the west-coast of the lake
Of course it was great to see Monte Baldo at the other side of the lake, while driving back home along the west-coast of Lago di garda / Gardasee.
This is another picture taken from the road high above the lake, in Tremosine.
On my picture you will also see, what a small area is left on the mountain in order to have a village built there, but since centuries this area was very fertile and had a perfect climate, so the inhabitants started to use even the smallest spots to build a house or plant an olive-tree...
Tremosine - a tunnel just for a waterfall
Did you ever see a tunnel or a bridge that was built just for a waterfall to get across a road ??
This was one of the unique places, that we passed by when taking the small road with plenty of windings from Tremosine to the coastroad in Voltino again.
When you enlarge my picture, you will see that the tunnel has absolutely no other purpose than to get the small river across the street without any danger for the drivers. I may also imagine, that in early spring this river will be a lot bigger and more dangerous, when the snow in the mountains is melting...
The coastroad at Tremosine
I may highly recommend not to take the road directely on the foot of the coast, BUT to take some side-steps to the small villages high above the coastline !
Tremosine is one of the best places to do so, BUT it is possible and advisable for drivers with XXX-strong nerves ONLY !
I was really lucky that Lothar was driving, and he knew that area already, so I was able to take these pics out of the car, while he could concentrate upon the trafic in theses narrow and dangerous roads.
This picture was taken on the road down from Tremosine.
at the west-coast of Lago di Garda in Salo
The west-coast of Lago di Garda starts rather flat with a lot of great villages along the coast, and when-ever you make a stop you may walk great boulevards and take a rest like the 2 people on my picture. This picture was taken in Salo, a great town on the east-coast of the lake, in a direct distance of about 60 km from Verona (across the lake), but driving there takes a lot more time of course, as you have to take the winding coastroad. Calculate at least 1 hour to get there
lots of great places north of Verona
On my picture you may see one of the many great places you will pass through on your way to Verona, when you arrive from the north and skip the fast lanes of the highway, and take the much smaller roads along the east-side of Lago di Garda. We still were lucky with the weather and the clouds even added a lot of special dramatic to the scenery.
This picture was taken at the end of the road over the Monte Baldo, where the mountain-road ends in a lot of windings back in the valley again. Only about 50 km are left for Verona from there...
More Reviews (47)
- See All how to get there by car
- See All the pedestrian area & the castle above
- See All People of Valeggio - beware of VTers !!!
globetrott's Related Pages
Verona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Verona "my town""
- "Verona - The City of Balconies"
- "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- "My Verona"
- "Operas in the Arena"
- "Verona, a living museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Verona
- Hotels in Verona
- Transportation in Verona
- Nightlife in Verona
- Restaurants in Verona
- Shopping in Verona
- Warnings and Dangers in Verona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brits Hotels
- Sugarloaf Ridge State Park Hotels
- Zielona Gora
- Colva Hotels
- Chianciano Terme
- Kampong Beribi Hotels
- British Virgin Islands Off The Beaten Path
- Twin Inns
- Bairro da Malagueira
- Adelaide Off The Beaten Path
- Florida Keys Off The Beaten Path
- Eugene Off The Beaten Path
- Prachuap Khiri Khan Off The Beaten Path
- Tobermory Off The Beaten Path
- Peru Off The Beaten Path
- Talkeetna Off The Beaten Path
- Cuenca Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Verona
- 63 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (296)
Have you been to Verona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verona
- Posted in Travel Tajikistan Forum "Re: Traveling alone?"
- Commented on one of globetrott's Verona travel pages
- updated a Verona Travel Page "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- Wrote a Review GARDA-LAND - a great amusement-park in Verona Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "GARDA-LAND - a great amusement-park"
Photos in VeronaSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1067 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (345)
Latest Verona hotel reviews
- Due Torri Hotel Baglioni
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- B&B Al Filarmonico
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Tryp Verona
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2004
- Giulietta e Romeo Hotel Verona
- 531 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Hotel Torcolo
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Holiday Inn Congress Centre
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Villa Francescatti
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Montresor Hotel Giberti
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Quality Hotel Saccardi Quadrante
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Holiday Inn Verona East
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- 554 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Romeo & Juliet- 108 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Arena- 117 Reviews, 198 Photos
- Piazza delle Erbe- 91 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Piazza dei Signori - Piazza Dante- 62 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Castelvecchio- 50 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Piazza Bra- 52 Reviews, 92 Photos
- The Scaligeri Tombs- 32 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Teatro Romano - Roman Theatre- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Basilica San Zeno- 15 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Duomo- 16 Reviews, 34 Photos
See All Verona Things to Do