Verona Things to Do Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Verona Things to Do: 818 reviews and 1,468 photos
Venezia is not far away from verona
Venice / Venezia is not far away from Verona and so you will be able to get also some of the really beautiful masks for the carnevale di Venezia there.
I saw this one in Piazza dell Erbe, in the centre of the square. They are certainly not really a cheap souvenir, but for sure a perfect and precious work of art sometimes.
Click on my picture and see the special expression that these masks mostly have, a kind of melancholy
Directions: I saw the stand with the masks from Venice in the centre of piazza dell erbe.
Portoni della Bra
"Portoni della Bra" is the name of this huge gate of the medival wall next to Piazza Bra.For me it is always again amazing to see such a wall that remained almost unchanged since 800 years now and is still able to cooperate with our modern cartrafic...
Museo Maffeiano is the oldest lapidarium / museum of inscriptions in Europe. It is dating back to the 18th century and you will find it when you walk a passage under the arcade of the Filarmonico. (thanks a lot Boris / croisbeauty for these informations !)
Directions: This place is in the south-west-end of Piazza Bra.
4 saints watching over Piazza dell Erbe
I never saw such a lovely single column at any other place in Italy, BUT in Verona I saw the one in Via mazzini and this one at the south-east-end of the Piazza dell Erbe. And they are almost alike, at least by their structure and architecture.
In the back of my picture you will also see a good example of one of the high traditional buildings in the very centre of Verona, where the space was limited and so they had to enlarge the building towards to sky.
Address: Piazza dell Erbe
Directions: This beautiful column is built on Piazza dell Erbe, where Via Capello will start and take you to "Casa di Giulietta"
4 saints watching over Via Mazzini
There is this small column right in the middle of the street, where Via Mazzini starts on Piazza Bra and high above the ground you will see the sculptured reliefs of 4 saints watching over the people passing by.
I could not find any explanations about it in my books, but still I think it is worth to take a closer look.
Address: Via Mazzini / Piazza bra
Directions: This column is still on Piazza bra, but also at the very beginning of Via Mazzini, just opposite of the famous Arena di Verona.
A great fresco in Via Mazzini / Piazza Bra
Don't oversee this great fresco in the very beginning of Via Mazzini and at the same time still facing Piazza Bra. Most of the colors have faded away unfortunately, but still you will see some great details of that very special work of art.
For me such small sights along my way through an old town are somehow more important than some of the tourist-traps everybody is going to...
Address: Via Mazzini / Piazza Bra
Directions: This great fresco is to be found at the very beginning of Via Mazzini next to Piazza Bra
the outside walls of the arena
At most places you will not see the outside walls of the arena any more, as it was destroyed in an earthquake plenty of centuries ago and the inhabitants from Verona took away the stones to build and restore their own houses..
There is only a small part of the outside-facade left and you may see it on my picture. It simply was a seperate wall with walking-arcades for the visitors.
Address: Piazza Bra / Via Mazzini
Directions: You may see this part of the Arena in the north-west corner of the Piazza Bra, at the beginning of Via Mazzini
Teatro Romano & San Pietro
Teatro Romano & San Pietro and the area around of it is a great scenery, that you will see from Ponte Nuovo not very far from Piazza del Erbe. The hill at San Pietro had settlements already at Roman times and today it is mainly famous for a perfect place to see the panorama of Verona.
The Roman theatre dates back to the old Roman empire and is unfortunately in a bad condition today.
Directions: In order to take a picture from this place, walk Via Nizza to the very end, where Ponte Nuovo crosses the river Adige / Etsch.
The italian poet Berto Barbarani
There is a monument for the italian poet Berto Barbarani (1872-1945) at the beginning of Via Capello / at the south-east-end of Piazza Erbe.
When you see his statue, you are sure to have found the right side-street leading you towards the famous balcony of Juliet / Giulietta. From the statue it is just about 200 meters - during the day follow the crowds of tourists !!
Address: Verona / Via Capello
Directions: This monument is at the beginning of Via Capello & at the south-east-end of Piazza Erbe.
Palazzo dei Tribunali - facing Piazza Dante
Palazzo dei Tribunali is another interesting building facing Piazza Dante. In the innercourt you may see 2 round areas, covered by glass, where you woll be able to look down to a lower level of the ground with foundations and a mosaique of the roman times.
The Palazzo dei Tribunali dates back to the year 1365, but the only remains of that time is the high tower you may see on my picture.
Address: Piazza Dante / Piazza dei Signori
Directions: Palazzo dei Tribunali is the first entrance on the left from Piazza Dante seen from the Salligeri tombs.
Loggia del Consiglio at Piazza Dante
The Loggia del Consiglio is another one of the interesting sights on Piazza Dante / Piazza dei Signori. There are great frescos and sculptures on these arcades that date back to 1476.
The sculptures on to of the building show the poets Plinius the elder and Catull, Aemelius Macer, a famous lawer, the architect Vitruv and the historian Cornelius Nepos.
On the right of my picture you will see the winged lion of the entrance-gate of Palazzo del Governo.
Address: Piazza dei Signori / Piazza Dante
Directions: The lovely Loggia del Consiglio is directely at Piazza Dante, next to Palazzo del Governo.
More Reviews (33)
- See All GARDA-LAND - a great amusement-park
- See All how to get there by car
- See All People of Valeggio - beware of VTers !!!
globetrott's Related Pages
Verona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Verona "my town""
- "Verona - The City of Balconies"
- "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- "My Verona"
- "Operas in the Arena"
- "Verona, a living museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Verona
- Hotels in Verona
- Transportation in Verona
- Nightlife in Verona
- Restaurants in Verona
- Shopping in Verona
- Warnings and Dangers in Verona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kempton Park Hotels
- Bhandup Hotels
- Cavite City Hotels
- Lake Buena Vista Hotels
Badges & Stats in Verona
- 63 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Verona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verona
- Posted in Travel Genoa Forum "Re: Visiting Genoa for a few..."
- Commented on one of globetrott's Verona travel pages
- updated a Verona Travel Page "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- Wrote a Review GARDA-LAND - a great amusement-park in Verona Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "GARDA-LAND - a great amusement-park"
Photos in VeronaSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Latest Verona hotel reviews
- Montresor Hotel Giberti
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Euromotel Croce Bianca Verona
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2013
- B&B Al Filarmonico
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2013
- Hotel Turismo
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Golden Tulip Parkhotel Affi
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2011
- Sogno di Giulietta
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Maxim Hotel
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Due Torri Hotel Baglioni
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Firenze Verona
- 220 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Giulietta e Romeo Hotel Verona
- 411 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Novo Hotel Rossi
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Villa Francescatti
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Romeo & Juliet- 108 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Arena- 115 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Piazza delle Erbe- 90 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Piazza dei Signori - Piazza Dante- 62 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Castelvecchio- 49 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Piazza Bra- 51 Reviews, 87 Photos
- The Scaligeri Tombs- 32 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Teatro Romano - Roman Theatre- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Basilica San Zeno- 15 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Sant'Anastasia Chiesa - Church- 13 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All Verona Things to Do