Rissani Favorite Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Rissani Favorites: 15 reviews and 15 photos
Favorite thing: wealthy people have their own palmtree in the garden
Fondest memory: In our countries in Europe, most people see a tree just as a decoration - but here in the desert a tree is a much more - it is like a treasure - spending shadow and offering dates all year long.
Therefore it is also NO good idea to eat some of these fruits from the trees, as they all belong to someone and make the income and food for a local family...
Camels in the desert
Favorite thing: Rissani is one of the last villages, before you will go into the Sahara, and somewhere a bit outside of the village we had a stop and saw this herd of camels.
Fondest memory: and the Sahara will not always as sandy as you expect, and also not totally without any vegetation, BUT it is full of a big variety of simple and almost unvisible flowers, plants, bugs and other insects.
Favorite thing: Click on the pic to see the fine ornaments
Fondest memory: Rissani was somehow the most surprising place for me in Maroc - as i never expected such rich ornaments inside a village, almost in the desert...
Favorite thing: I never expected to see such fine arts in a village like Rissani
Fondest memory: It was inside one of the shops, and was proudly shown to us - the roof is open for fresh air - and rain - if it ever happens a few times a year , was no problem at all, as it disappears into the ground within a very short time
Favorite thing: there is so much to explore - and some of the houses offer a path with covered arcades to be protected against the sun
Fondest memory: In the brochure of the tour-company I read, that they recommend to wear a warm jacket in the Sahara - it sounded so funny, but is absolutely the best you may do - I had my winter-jacket and was protected against the hot sun - and the steady wind, that would have dried out the skin within a short time.
and also the locals had their warm Chellabahs...
Favorite thing: many of the houses in Rissani look really unique with a shady inner-court and great ornaments on the houses
Fondest memory: This was the court of one of the shops I had been to in order to buy my 2 Camel-bags.
Just entering a private area like this on your own might be a problem - although most of them will not have gates in front
But tourists will always be surrounded by kids, offering "tours" through their town, and they will know, where tourists will be accepted for a short look into the private "gardens" & courts
Favorite thing: at many places around Maroc I was searching for "Camel Bags" - those are big bags, made like a KILIM
On the front you see the pattern - and each tribe has its own pattern
On the back it is mostly just wide stripes of different colors.
"Camel Bags " were used for the transportation of all goods, the nomads had to transport, when they moved from one place to the other.
They were attached to the saddle of the camels...
Fondest memory: Here in Rissani I found the best examples of these bags - and more than I could afford - while in the rest of Maroc I always asked in vain for "Camel-bags"
Favorite thing: Well, maybe this is rather a "shopping-tip" if you are looking for some great new teeth...
Click on the pic and make your coice - my favorite is the one on top with the nice heart-ornament ;-))
Fondest memory: I saw some of these windows, while in Maroc - and I also saw dentists "working" on " Djema El Fna " (The big square, where you see artists,fairy-tellers,snake-charmers... )in Marrakech, where they work on a big square, pulling out teeth and doing repairs in the square - but I did not dare to take a pic...
Favorite thing: Rissani - a small village where the Sahara "starts"
Fondest memory: Most of the houses are built by clay and straw and the village is surrounded by a wall, as the steady wind would outherwise blow the sand into the streets...
Fondest memory: What amazed me most was the fact, that the desert has so many small flowers and animals, when you simply look for them - and whenever some rain would fall once or twice a year, certain flowers appear for several hours or days and disappear again until the next rainy days...
More Reviews (1)
globetrott's Related Pages
Rissani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "interesting gate to the sahara"
- "Rissani - a small town almost in the Sahara..."
- "A Moroccan Backwater (except it's desert)"
- "Gaze upon my works, and despair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rissani
- Hotels in Rissani
- Transportation in Rissani
- Restaurants in Rissani
- Shopping in Rissani
- Warnings and Dangers in Rissani
- See All...
Explore the World
- West Miami Hotels
- Fair Hill
- Saint Martin Hotels
- Pulau Satang Kecil Hotels
- Cooperstown Hotels
Badges & Stats in Rissani
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Rissani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rissani
- Posted in Travel Genoa Forum "Re: Visiting Genoa for a few..."
- Commented on one of Avieira67's Rissani travel pages
- Wrote a Review Rissani - almost in the Sahara in Rissani Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Camel-bags / sacks"
- updated a Rissani Travel Page "Rissani - a small town almost in the Sahara..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Latest Rissani hotel reviews
- Kasbah Ennasra
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2012