"Monte video , yes I saw the mountain as well" Top 5 Page for this destination Montevideo by globetrott

Montevideo Travel Guide: 544 reviews and 1,141 photos

Montevideo is quite a flat area and so it is hard to believe where the name of the city came from according to an old ledgend : When a ship was sailing along the cost a spanish sailor was shouting Monte video ( I see a mountain ).

and now I saw the hill as well !

I came to Montevideo on a cruise and I had made just a little walk of 3-4 hours because I still felt a bit of "Montezuma's revenge" that had caught me 2 days before my arrival in Montevideo.
So, all you can see on my page here can easyly be done in just a few hours...

• Last visit to Montevideo: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 16, 2008

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Thanks for the interesting tips . We are stopping in Montivideo for a few nights before heading to Argentina.

• May 9, 2010 at 12:03 AM

You should know Montevideo streets in 80's :s

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I'm going to look for the mountain so thanks for the directions LOL

• rafgys's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2008 at 7:33 AM

I'm glad you liked Montevideo! But it doesn't mean I saw the mountain ... the legend says it meant Monte VI dE-O (the sixth mount from east to west)! Cheers bro!!!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Excellent comprehensive page. Well done! I also walked around the flea market that time on a really hot summer day and was trying to buy sunscreen with USD...

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Michael, fantastic page about this busy metropolis. I really like the architecture of Montevideo. My favourite photo is the one of the old coastal steamer. Greetings from snowy Germany.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Thorough and vivid page as usual, Michael! Yes, the mountain isn't so high at your photo that I could say I saw it! Ha-Ha! But you've seen it I'm sure! Happy Easter from Orthodox Russia which have to wait it a month!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Beautiful pics of Montevideo - wish I had been able to make it there while in BsAs! Loved your tips of the Graf Spee's range-finder and the impressive Palacio Salvo. That old coastal steamer makes a great 'port decoration'!!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Great tips and photos of Montevideo! Looks like a wonderful travel destination. Best regards from the USA, Bill

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Thanks for including the link to Teatro Solis -- I've just had a look at their website. I see you are on the list for EuroMeet 2008 in Karlsruhe, so I look forward to meeting you there.

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Badges & Stats in Montevideo

Have you been to Montevideo?